Changing water pump 3.3 V6 need help. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View exlax66's Photo Gallery
Changing water pump 3.3 V6 need help.

I am in the process of changing the timing belt and water pump on my 2005 Camry 3.3 V6. I have everything disassembled to the point that I need to remove the water pump, that is leaking. It seems that the back cover for the timing belt covers is covering the top of the water pump. Do I have to remove both of the camshaft pulleys and that cover just to get the water pump out?? If so is there an easy way to remove the pulleys without damaging anything?

By the way thanks in advance for helping the new guy to this forum.
exlax66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View exlax66's Photo Gallery
I kept digging on the old interweb and I found a pretty good article on this subject.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/issu...ontentid=97022

Unfortunately I have to take off the right hand cam pulley at the very least! It is being ornery as hell. Any tricks to removing the bolt without the cam turning.
exlax66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to exlax66 For This Useful Post:
Kienochan (06-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $363800
View Donald E. George's Photo Gallery
There is a you tube two part video of removing the timing belt,idler,tensioner and water pump. Should work for your 05. Here is the urls for the first and second parts.
My 76 year old eyes give me hell when trying to read those very long urls. If they don't work for you here are the basics. The front support bracket in front of the waterpump is removed by taking the front motor mount loose and jacking the engine up high enough to slide the bracket off of those long studs. The studs have to be removed in order to remove the water pump. Takes a 8mm inverted torx or a stud removal socket which slips over the stud past the threads and then can be tightened on the stud to remove it. Hope this helps. Regards.

Last edited by Donald E. George; 02-10-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Attempt to make sense out of a mess
Donald E. George is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $363800
View Donald E. George's Photo Gallery
One more try for part 1 url for water pump replacement.
Dementia ward here I come. Regards
Donald E. George is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Toyota Fanatic

Gameroom cash: $1047750
Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,454 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View hardtopte72's Photo Gallery
No you don't have to remove the studs Donald you just slide the pump over those studs. Trying to remove them would likely result in them breaking anyway.

To remove the water pump you will need to have a jack and block of wood for the oil pan.

After loosening the bracket bolts, remove the bracket after lifting the engine up then remove the pump as well.

The upper cover only needs to be remove for camshaft seal replacement (which is also a good idea).

My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 Hardtop 1JZGTE R154
2005 Corolla CE Manual 1ZZFE
2009 Camry LE Auto 2AZFE

If I helped out in any way please hit the blue Thanks button on my post.
hardtopte72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to hardtopte72 For This Useful Post:
Donald E. George (02-11-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)