Need a new engine for a 2004 Camry 4 cylinder - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Need a new engine for a 2004 Camry 4 cylinder

Hi Toyota Nation. I'm soon to purchase for cheap a 2004 Camry with a rod knock. My brother in law did not get the oil plug tight while doing a oil change and ran the car out of oil. It still runs but with a knock. Everyone we have talked to about this say you can't rebuild these engines yourself, and that they need to be done by a factory or a used engine would be a good approach. Anyway, I can probably buy the car for about $1000, and am hoping to find a used motor from a wrecker for less than 2000, and do a engine swap. This car has an automatic, with the 2AZ-FE California engine. And it looks like it might be easiest to pull the engine and trans together out the top, but I really don't know.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for engine removal and replacement for this car, and where I might best find a used engine. I have been searching Craigs list for a used engine, but mostly what I find are really old Camry's. I think a 04 is still just new enough that when they get in a accident, wreckers and insurance companies are involved, therefore private parties don't part them out themselves like you might see on a older car.

The rest of the car seems pretty good except for some dings and general cleaning needed. This would probably end up as a Kids car for getting back and forth to school. I have quite a bit of automotive experience, but mostly on older stuff. I do have a lot of patience though and with a kid in college, I don't have much $.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,352 Posts
Welcome to TN

This doesn't address a swap specifically but there is a lot of good info in the stickey on the 5th gen --- http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...fo-sticky.html

Here is another thread on the subject. --- 5th gen engine swap - california vs federal emissions

I am certain there are more but this should be enough to get your started. I am sure people that know more than me will chime it

I also know I saw a reputable re builder that folks have used on here but can't remember the name to save my life.
#3 Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 PM
New TN User

I am a poster in 1 of the above mentioned threads. Here is what I have to say on this topic to maybe help you out.

You can find good used engines and trans online with warranties for around $3000 ($1500 for engine $1500 for trans). However, I have not done extensive research on the subject except on how to get more power out of my 4 banger. Either to just drop a v6 Toyota (or other make) into it or a drop a new 4 cylinder in with the addition of a turbo. With that said, there is extensive work to be done with either swap.

With the v6 swap, there will be the NEED of a new trans to match, along with possible drivetrain, suspension upgrade (for weight, which I have done this already), ECU upgrade to match the v6, and I'm sure there is other things I'm missing. End result is lots of time and money.

With the turbo upgrade, there will need to be better "breathing" for the turbo. This means an exhaust upgrade, cold air intake or ram air or another form or cooling the air coming in, then is the selection process of which turbo is best, smaller for lower end boost or bigger for higher end boost. End result, time and money.

All in all any type of engine swap, from personal research and research only (haven't actually done this this type of work myself), and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but you will need time and money as well as a the donar car to ensure you have all parts needed to do a swap. The extra car is in case you run into issues needing extra parts along the way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#4 Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 AM
New TN User

Have you checked out the auto dismantlers?

I've seen this one mentioned here in the forums, http://www.kpautodismantler.com/ . They have your engine for $1500, but the yard is in Fontana, CA.

There are these folks, http://www.japanengine.com/products/...&search=&page=

And these folks, http://www.*********************/Eng...a/Toyota-Camry They have a branch office in San Fran

These folks are close to you in Richmond, Ca. http://attarco.com/products-page/reb...ine-2002-2006/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)