2003 Toyota Camry gas leak problem. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-02-2013, 05:57 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2003 Toyota Camry gas leak problem.

Yesterday I filled up my 2003 Camry completely filled to the top with gasoline so I could do a mileage check, and then drove 8 miles home.

Well today I went outside to find a small putter of a gas leakage underneath the car directly in the center of rear axle between the rear tires, were I believe the gas tank may be located.

Can anyone tell me why they may be a small leakage located there, why this is happening, and what should I do about this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satman858 View Post
Yesterday I filled up my 2003 Camry completely filled to the top with gasoline so I could do a mileage check, and then drove 8 miles home.

Well today I went outside to find a small putter of a gas leakage underneath the car directly in the center of rear axle between the rear tires, were I believe the gas tank may be located.

Can anyone tell me why they may be a small leakage located there, why this is happening, and what should I do about this problem?
There are a lot of lines located in that area. The charcoal canister sits over your rear crossmember between the rear wheels.
#3 Old 09-03-2013, 01:20 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
This evening I went to the store and on the way back home the car started missing and when reducing speed the engine almost killed.

Could filling the car to the very top caused problems like this?

Also, if I just got some bad gas what can I do?
#4 Old 09-04-2013, 12:16 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I wish I could get some answers to my post above.
#5 Old 09-04-2013, 12:45 PM
ASE Master Technician

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Topping it off over the auto stop on the pump will cause the canister to become saturated with fuel and leak causing problems. You probably need to remove and attempt to drain the evap canister and lines of raw fuel. You may need to repalce it.

2013 Chevrolet Volt
2006 Lexus GS430(SOLD)
2001 Lexus IS300(SOLD)
2000 Celica GTS 6-Speed(SOLD)
2005 Lexus ES330(SOLD)
2002 Lexus ES300(SOLD)
2007 Camry SE V-6 Titanium(SOLD)
“My friends call me ‘The Cane.’ Even before I messed up my leg.” ~Dr. Gregory house

Last edited by JSM1284; 09-04-2013 at 12:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSM1284 For This Useful Post:
Donald E. George (09-08-2013)
#6 Old 09-04-2013, 03:14 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSM1284 View Post
Topping it off over the auto stop on the pump will cause the canister to become saturated with fuel and leak causing problems. You probably need to remove and attempt to drain the evap canister and lines of raw fuel. You may need to repalce it.
I am going to try Heet this evening to try removing any water and condensation that many have occured with the warm humid weather we have here in the New Orleans La area.

P.S. It appears that the canister is no longer leaking, as I am no longer seeing a small gasoline puddle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)