OFFICAL: 2007-2009 Camry 2.4 Liter 2AZFE/2AZFXE (Hybrid) Oil Consumption Thread - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen6 OFFICAL: 2007-2009 Camry 2.4 Liter 2AZFE/2AZFXE (Hybrid) Oil Consumption Thread

Alright, so I popped open the hood today and wanted to check the oil level and the color since my car has about 400 miles left before the oil change. It hasn't even reached the 5000 mile mark yet. When I checked the oil, it only marked about 1/8th of a inch. Now I'm not too educated when it comes to engines and such, but I would think that it's dangerously low. The oil didn't even touch the first dot. So I called my salesperson, and he told me not to fill it up with any oil and bring it in (not so sure that's a smart idea). The exhaust coming out of my muffler was a bit more stronger than usual, and the engine turning on did sound louder than usual as well. Seems like such little oil could have permanently damged something inside?

So.. what the hell? New car, less than 5k miles, normal driving, no leakage anywhere. Could it be possible that it burned the oil somehow? But I'm going to take my car to the dealership tomorrow and have them fix this. I've taken a picture of the oil level to prove (it probably isn't much but at least it's something) my case.

And I guess since I'm taking my car in, I might as well have them apply the TSB's to it as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Official TN Member

Yep, you have a promlem if you smell burning oil from the exhaust, is that the case?

As far as driving it in, call your dealers service dept, let them tell you this(salesmen know nothing), they may tow it to be on the safe side, you shouldn't have a problem though if its atleast showing on the stick, its took that many miles to get low.

I feel for ya, and hope you the best in efforts with the service dept. My wife had a mazda 6 with same problem, they asked no questions and replaced the engine.
#3 Old 02-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
In 100% honesty, I would not worry about it, it may use a little bit of oil before 1st oil change, engine is breaking in, it may have been sligtly low to begin, how is the color of the oil ??

11 Sienna XLE / 07 Camry / 06 GS300 / Retired from service 04 GX470
#4 Old 02-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
The color looked fine. It was a little dark, as it should just a couple hundred miles before it's due for an oil change. But the level, it was way too low. I've got a picture of it before I put the car away for the night.

I think that's way too low, and it made me wonder how I even drove that much with that little oil.

Another thought that came to mind (probably not plausible though) is that maybe they didn't fill it up with much oil after it came in from the production plant? I'm wondering though, do they transport vehicles with oil in the pan?
#5 Old 02-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Official TN Member

They drive the vehicles onto a transport truck. The dealers are to do a check list before delivering vehicle to you. I thought you said something about the smell of the exhaust.
#6 Old 02-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Maven

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You ask good questions and this is why you frequently check engine oil levels in new engines until things are seated in. New engines use oil. Some more than others, It may have been low to begin with, but then I guess you don't know for sure becasuse this is the first time you have checked. I would have the service guy make a note in the computer file about the engine burning more than a quart in 4500 miles, but they won't do anything specific about it unless it burns a quart in 1k miles or less. This should be a learning experience for you and other readers to go out and check the oil level. An old towel or napkin can be your friend.

2007 V6 Camry LE, Built TMMK 27 September 06
"People who think they know it all are particularly irritating to those of us who do."
#7 Old 02-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah the smell was slightly stronger than it normally was a couple days agom but I thought nothing of it. So now, I'm just speculating on different possibilities to help explain why this is happening.
#8 Old 02-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdsupragt
Yeah the smell was slightly stronger than it normally was a couple days agom but I thought nothing of it. So now, I'm just speculating on different possibilities to help explain why this is happening.
Did you check your oil level when you got the car? How do you know it wasn't low to begin with? If you didn't check the oil level when getting the car, then there's no conclusive evidence that it is burning anything.

Do you park in the same spot everytime? Any leaks? Look under the car to confirm if there's oil on any part of the undercarriage.

I would say, do your oil change... and monitor the levels from there. The next morning check your oil to get a reference on the stick, then every 500 miles or less if you want, check the level again under the same conditions (flat surface, cold etc.). Log your findings.

There not many things a dealer can do to diagnosis if it's burning oil, short of ripping into the motor. They could also do a leak down test... but that wont tell you if the excess leakage is from the rings or the valves. Couple other places they can check is the valve guides (too much clearance) and or the ring gaps and tension (pull the pistons out to measure the ring gaps and tension of the rings).

Not many dealers and their staff even know how to do a leak down test properly much less rip into a motor. They usually replace it or send the motor out to a engine shop.

If it was me... I'd monitor you consumption and go from there.

I wouldn't want a dealer touching my car in general much less my motor if I can help it, nothing ever is the same.

07 SE V6 Titanium Silver w/Blk Lthr.+ Navi (Option D)

!95 Impala SS - 383 CID, Built 4L60E w/Vig. 4000 Stall, Porsche GT2 Monoblock F/R Brakes, Full Suspension-(Hal 12way Adj. Shocks, Hotchkis, Global West, Eibach), G. LT Headers/Borla/Random Tech +many more mods 12.1@114 MPH@4300lbs

Last edited by rsjyss; 02-15-2007 at 11:59 PM.
#9 Old 02-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjyss
Did you check your oil level when you got the car? How do you know it wasn't low to begin with? If you didn't check the oil level when getting the car, then there's no conclusive evidence that it is burning anything.

Do you park in the same spot everytime? Any leaks? Look under the car to confirm if there's oil on any part of the undercarriage.

I would say, do your oil change... and monitor the levels from there. The next morning check your oil to get a reference on the stick, then every 500 miles or less if you want, check the level again under the same conditions (flat surface, cold etc.). Log your findings.

There not many things a dealer can do to diagnosis if it's burning oil, short of ripping into the motor. They could also do a leak down test... but that wont tell you if the excess leakage is from the rings or the valves. Couple other places they can check is the valve guides (too much clearance) and or the ring gaps and tension (pull the pistons out to measure the ring gaps and tension of the rings).

Not many dealers and their staff even know how to do a leak down test properly much less rip into a motor. They usually replace it or send the motor out to a engine shop.

If it was me... I'd monitor you consumption and go from there.

I wouldn't want a dealer touching my car in general much less my motor if I can help it, nothing ever is the same.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be doing that from now on, especially after seeing this happen. But I'll see what happens soon enough...
#10 Old 02-16-2007, 12:36 AM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Your not supposed to wait that long before the 1st oil change. It's a good idea to have it done around 1500 miles. Clear all the crap out that was in the engine when made. then after that, do them as normal.

My Camry: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228043...y-xle-sedan-4d
'96 Camry: 2MZ
'95 AE101: JDM Tails/Grill/BiXenon Headlights. JDM Lighted Ignition Keyring and Cabin Air Filter
#11 Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 PM
New TN User

Gen6 oil usage

Hi,I have an 07 LE 4cyl 19,000 miles. I cange oil every 3,000 and the last 2 oil changes I have been almost a quart low. I use 5w20 and factory oil filters. It is my wifes car and she does not drive hard at all and there are no oil leaks. I wanted to see if anyone else has been going through oil before I call the dealer, they have pissed me off in the past with tranny issues that have never been resolved. Thanks for any help
#12 Old 11-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Have you checked the levels between the changes, such as every 500-1000 miles?

#13 Old 11-08-2007, 10:10 PM
New TN User

Yes, and its around a quarter of a quart low every 1,000 miles.And the car does not ever smoke that I can see.
#14 Old 11-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Official TN Member

Mine is doing the same. An I4 with 12,000 miles. I think I'll take it in to the dealer when I find time. About 1,500 miles after the last oil change I noticed it was at the add line. I now check the oil every weekend.

2013 Camry SE - Classic Silver
2011 Rav4 - Black Forrest Pearl
#15 Old 11-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Mine, too. 2.5 quarts low at a 5K change.

'94 Camry LE. IDK, that minty green color that looks silver in a pic, until you see the car, and it's actually green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)