Toyota Nation Forum banner

THE OFFICIAL 2002-2009 Camry 2.4 Liter 2AZFE/2AZFXE (Hybrid) Oil Consumption Thread

596K views 2K replies 343 participants last post by  Zannah 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
EDIT: This Thread will now be used for all issues related to this topic. Thank you!!!!!!

- HardtopTE72

Alright, so I popped open the hood today and wanted to check the oil level and the color since my car has about 400 miles left before the oil change. It hasn't even reached the 5000 mile mark yet. When I checked the oil, it only marked about 1/8th of a inch. Now I'm not too educated when it comes to engines and such, but I would think that it's dangerously low. The oil didn't even touch the first dot. So I called my salesperson, and he told me not to fill it up with any oil and bring it in (not so sure that's a smart idea). The exhaust coming out of my muffler was a bit more stronger than usual, and the engine turning on did sound louder than usual as well. Seems like such little oil could have permanently damged something inside?

So.. what the hell? New car, less than 5k miles, normal driving, no leakage anywhere. Could it be possible that it burned the oil somehow? But I'm going to take my car to the dealership tomorrow and have them fix this. I've taken a picture of the oil level to prove (it probably isn't much but at least it's something) my case.

And I guess since I'm taking my car in, I might as well have them apply the TSB's to it as well.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep, you have a promlem if you smell burning oil from the exhaust, is that the case?

As far as driving it in, call your dealers service dept, let them tell you this(salesmen know nothing), they may tow it to be on the safe side, you shouldn't have a problem though if its atleast showing on the stick, its took that many miles to get low.

I feel for ya, and hope you the best in efforts with the service dept. My wife had a mazda 6 with same problem, they asked no questions and replaced the engine.

#3 ·
In 100% honesty, I would not worry about it, it may use a little bit of oil before 1st oil change, engine is breaking in, it may have been sligtly low to begin, how is the color of the oil ??

#4 ·
The color looked fine. It was a little dark, as it should just a couple hundred miles before it's due for an oil change. But the level, it was way too low. I've got a picture of it before I put the car away for the night.

I think that's way too low, and it made me wonder how I even drove that much with that little oil.

Another thought that came to mind (probably not plausible though) is that maybe they didn't fill it up with much oil after it came in from the production plant? I'm wondering though, do they transport vehicles with oil in the pan?

#6 ·
You ask good questions and this is why you frequently check engine oil levels in new engines until things are seated in. New engines use oil. Some more than others, It may have been low to begin with, but then I guess you don't know for sure becasuse this is the first time you have checked. I would have the service guy make a note in the computer file about the engine burning more than a quart in 4500 miles, but they won't do anything specific about it unless it burns a quart in 1k miles or less. This should be a learning experience for you and other readers to go out and check the oil level. An old towel or napkin can be your friend.

#8 · (Edited)
trdsupragt said:
Yeah the smell was slightly stronger than it normally was a couple days agom but I thought nothing of it. So now, I'm just speculating on different possibilities to help explain why this is happening.
Did you check your oil level when you got the car? How do you know it wasn't low to begin with? If you didn't check the oil level when getting the car, then there's no conclusive evidence that it is burning anything.

Do you park in the same spot everytime? Any leaks? Look under the car to confirm if there's oil on any part of the undercarriage.

I would say, do your oil change... and monitor the levels from there. The next morning check your oil to get a reference on the stick, then every 500 miles or less if you want, check the level again under the same conditions (flat surface, cold etc.). Log your findings.

There not many things a dealer can do to diagnosis if it's burning oil, short of ripping into the motor. They could also do a leak down test... but that wont tell you if the excess leakage is from the rings or the valves. Couple other places they can check is the valve guides (too much clearance) and or the ring gaps and tension (pull the pistons out to measure the ring gaps and tension of the rings).

Not many dealers and their staff even know how to do a leak down test properly much less rip into a motor. They usually replace it or send the motor out to a engine shop.

If it was me... I'd monitor you consumption and go from there.

I wouldn't want a dealer touching my car in general much less my motor if I can help it, nothing ever is the same.

#9 ·
rsjyss said:
Did you check your oil level when you got the car? How do you know it wasn't low to begin with? If you didn't check the oil level when getting the car, then there's no conclusive evidence that it is burning anything.

Do you park in the same spot everytime? Any leaks? Look under the car to confirm if there's oil on any part of the undercarriage.

I would say, do your oil change... and monitor the levels from there. The next morning check your oil to get a reference on the stick, then every 500 miles or less if you want, check the level again under the same conditions (flat surface, cold etc.). Log your findings.

There not many things a dealer can do to diagnosis if it's burning oil, short of ripping into the motor. They could also do a leak down test... but that wont tell you if the excess leakage is from the rings or the valves. Couple other places they can check is the valve guides (too much clearance) and or the ring gaps and tension (pull the pistons out to measure the ring gaps and tension of the rings).

Not many dealers and their staff even know how to do a leak down test properly much less rip into a motor. They usually replace it or send the motor out to a engine shop.

If it was me... I'd monitor you consumption and go from there.

I wouldn't want a dealer touching my car in general much less my motor if I can help it, nothing ever is the same.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be doing that from now on, especially after seeing this happen. But I'll see what happens soon enough...

#10 ·
Your not supposed to wait that long before the 1st oil change. It's a good idea to have it done around 1500 miles. Clear all the crap out that was in the engine when made. then after that, do them as normal.

#11 ·
oil usage

Hi,I have an 07 LE 4cyl 19,000 miles. I cange oil every 3,000 and the last 2 oil changes I have been almost a quart low. I use 5w20 and factory oil filters. It is my wifes car and she does not drive hard at all and there are no oil leaks. I wanted to see if anyone else has been going through oil before I call the dealer, they have pissed me off in the past with tranny issues that have never been resolved. Thanks for any help

#14 ·
Mine is doing the same. An I4 with 12,000 miles. I think I'll take it in to the dealer when I find time. About 1,500 miles after the last oil change I noticed it was at the add line. I now check the oil every weekend.

#16 ·
My 4 Cyl had the same weird problem...but I had no signs of any type of leaking. I took it to the dealership and they said I had a leak, and fixed it under warranty.

#33 ·
Ram...so did the dealer give you a hard time about it?? Looks like most here seem to think 1 quart of oil is normal. This is my first car that has consumed this much oil, also I am new to Toyota...my previous cars have been Acura & Honda built for the last 21 years or so...several Accords, Legend, 2 Civics for the wife & one TL and they all had over 100K miles (not the Civics) and can't remember any of them sucking oil like this...but I guess it's normal according to many here...

I'll look the other way on this...but will look for some more opinions...the bottom line is that the car runs smooth and so far everything's okay with my 07 Camry CE 5 speed and 25K miles....hope I can say the same after a 100K...and the engine hasn't sludged up by then...

#18 ·
My 1MZ with over 100k gives me back the same amount I put in, 5 qts on the dot every time

#21 ·
#22 ·
Wow...I had posted something similar a few months ago...but NO ONE responded...and so I said..damn, must be just me....I have 25K miles on my 07 Camry CE 5 speed and YES, it eats up approx a 1 quart every oil change ; there is no sign of leak anywhere on my garage floor ; the car still runs beautiful...so will probably have to take it to the dealer I guess...anyone ?? I tend to keep up with this, same as I had when I had some other warranty related issues (thanks to this forum). So far I have had to take the car in for an intermediate shaft steering and also for a mild hesitation ; but other than that it's been good until this oil CONSUMPTION issue. Please people post here...give us some ideas...thanks in advance.

#24 ·
There is no way a quart of oil every 3,000 miles is normal! If TOYOTA TELLS ME THAT I WILL GET RID OF IT. I bought a 2000 Mitsubishi Gallant I4 brand new and put 145,000 miles on it and it never went through a drop of oil.Also had a 2003 Jeep Liberty with V-6 bought it at 20,000 miles and sold it at 105,000 never a drop had to be added. My 1987 Chev 1-ton with a 454BB and 185,000 miles does not go through any oil and I tow a 23' travel trailer. I am very hard on my truck, by the way up to 4500 RPM all the time. And my 2003 Yamaha FZ1 that red lines at 12,000 never uses oil and I have 19,000 miles on that. I can't even count how many times I have hit the rev limiter. Sorry I have to sound like a prick but this is my first Toyota and don't think it should give me any prblems like oil use and tranny shudder .The dealer said they could not replicate the tranny issue so there is nothing wrong

#28 ·
It seems most that have responded indicate that their cars do not use oil between oil changes. Wouldn't the majority be considered normal? Just because using 1 qt per change is within specs does not make it normal.
Why? :confused: Because you said/typed it?

The manufacturers set the specs.

If it's in specs, it's considered normal.

It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp.

#29 ·
Acceptable oil consumption varies between engines and manufacturers. The rule of thumb is that it is within tolerance if it consumes less than a quart in 650 miles. I agree that it might be an issue of concern but it depends upon how the car is driven, at what speeds, how often the oil is changed and what kind and weight is used.Check the pcv to see if is open and check that the opening from it into the valve cover is also free and clear. Back pressure can cause excess consumption, particularly at high speed. Check for a poof of smoke when the engine is first started after a long sit which would indicate bad valve seals. Beyond that, change the brand of oil used and make sure the weight is correct for the engine.

Reactions: Glenn Morton
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.