Toyota Nation Forum banner

Auto trans lengevity on 2002-06 4cyl Camry

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  hardtopte72 
#1 ·
A fifth gen 4cyl Camry is on our short list. Our budget means candidates will have 150K miles, maybe closer to 200K miles. What's the wisdom on a 4-speed vs 5-speed automatic for this generation?

Thanks,
Sixto
95 Camry LE 4cyl 206K miles - retired

#5 ·
Most likely totalled his '95.. I did with my '94 on the 2nd day of new year and I miss her everytime I see a gen3 passing by me on the road, gonna take real good care of the new '04 SE V6

Back on topic, like others said, if you're going for 4 cylinder you might want to get '04 to '06 models, '05 to '06 if you don't want to take any chances with that head bolts issue, as some '04s may still have it, other than that regular care should keep Camrys happy

#6 ·
Thanks. The question was whether the first year 5-speed AT had teething problems. Seems not.

The '95 needs a head gasket after running out of coolant on multiple occasions with the previous owner, a family member. It has an appetite for oil, needs shocks and soon an AC compressor and the headlights and buckets are tweaked from a cheaply repaired frontal collision. I tried to sell it privately as is but the best offer was $400. The state will give us $1000 to retire it which is all I needed to hear :) It goes to the dismantler in a couple of weeks. I said all this to answer the question but I know there are flamethrowers being primed out there :eek:

Sixto
Thanks,
Sixto
95 Camry LE 4cyl 206K miles - retired

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.