Blue smoke from tailpipe fixed...from oil pan gasket repair? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-19-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Blue smoke from tailpipe fixed...from oil pan gasket repair?

Hello all. Just posting and curious if anyone else has ever had this happen:

So my 2005 Camry has 180,000 miles on it now. At about 150,000-165,000 miles, somewhere in there, the car would, on a cold start in the morning, have some blue smoke that would come out of the tailpipe for a about 10-15 seconds. I've always understood this to be valve seals that needed to be replaced on any other car I have owned. It's not a fun job, and any car I've done the fix has been tedious but does fix the problem, so it's been reinforced in my mind that is the fix and the problem. So, this car being no different, I told me wife I would get to it eventually, and just not to worry about it, the car will keep on going for some time. Well, about a month ago I noticed oil actually dripping onto the driveway, so I had to get under it and see what was wrong, and that's when I saw the oil pan leak, which I did notice some time ago, but it was mild, was now enough of a problem to be dripping after parking it every night. I looked it up, and for my 4 cylinder car, it's a breeze. I did the repair (which I noted in a different post) and 'voila' my oil leak is fixed. But, the funny thing is....the tailpipe blue smoke in the morning problem also went away. At first I thought this was just a coincidence, but I've now put on about 2500 miles in the last two weeks, and it is definitely gone.

So my question is: Does an oil pan leak cause enough of a vacuum pull or leak to cause some oil to pull past the valve guide and simulate a worn valve seals? If so, this was a great fix, and I wish I had done it a long time ago. Has anyone else every seen this?

Thanks.

Last edited by enichols22124; 03-19-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-19-2017, 10:46 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blue smoke from tailpipe fixed...from oil pan gasket repair?

I've got the exact same problem! 200k+ miles and some of that oil smoke out the tail pipe every morning.

The engine valve gaskets were changed recently and it still leaks. The pan gasket seal is getting fixed this week at the next oil change. I will let you know what happens.

I've got a 2004 XLE 4cyl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 03-20-2017, 12:20 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Run some high mileage oil (for the seal conditioners). That wont hurt and may help.

But yeah, blue smoke on first fire up in the morning is usually oil leaking from the valve cover gasket into the spark plug wells. Easy fix. Replace the spark plugs (cheap but get the more expensive but still inexpensive Irridiums) and the PCV valve (cheap) while youre in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-20-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes, to clarify my earlier post.

To clarify my earlier post, maybe I should say something like a non-leaking engine might not blow blue smoke. I had already replaced the valve cover gasket a while back, changed the spark plugs, and solved any other leaks I had found, but it was over months and years. The valve cover gasket was a year ago perhaps, and the plugs were changed months later. On my mother-in-laws car, I changed everything on her car around the same time since I already have had the tools out each time, so its fast. Her's has never smoked, but I think I just changed everything a little early. She's only got 120,000 miles on it now, vs our 180,000 miles. It's been great for teaching my girls, since I can show them by doing the first car, and then they just do the second one after they understand how to do brakes, hoses, gaskets, or oil changes. Then I don't have to do that anymore. My kids have changed the brakes for years now, for example. Then they teach the neighbors that ask about the work they are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)