Toyota Nation Forum banner

Reinserting Passenger side drive axel after removal

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jnmaiki 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Solara SLE 3.3L. The cv joints were bad and it needed a new boot so my father and I decided to embark on this task. Little did we know at the time how difficult and time consuming this task would be!
:headbang:

Either way, we finally got the old axel removed (had to use a come-along and tow strap tied to a car parked beside mine) and we are now trying to get that new shaft into the transmission but it just won't "slip" into place like everyone describes! We have the bearing and snap ring mounted into the support bracket but we are having trouble getting it to stay in. We tried using a come-along to pull it back into place after it would not slip in like everyone says it will, and that worked until we got the tire back on and started to lower the vehicle when he noticed that the shaft had popped back out - Thankfully before the car was set down on the ground.

Please ... any suggestions would be appreciated. :laugh::thanks:

#4 ·
The old axel did fit fine when it was removed. I have not tried to slip it back in since it was removed. I am positive that it is the correct part number since it does not have the same little ring on the end that goes into the transmission like the driver's side does. Also, I bought it all in one piece with the bearing attached to the cv joint boot and arm that goes into the wheel hub. Sorry for not knowing proper terminology. After all, I am a girl.

Anyway the axel did slide in at one point, but when we got it into place, the force we applied to the top of the bracket with the come along pulled it into palce. As soon as I released that come-along, the shaft popped out and I noticed that the snap ring came undone.

Also, the bracket will not sit in line with the screw holes anymore and the top retaining bolt begins to get cross threaded as I try to tighten it into place. First bolt, on bottom, goes in just fine, but top one wont go in stright.

Any suggestions?

Please help!!

#3 ·
If the snap ring and bearing are in, but the axle slides out of the transmission, the axle is likely too short.

Did you measure the old and new axles side by side? There is no clip to seat the axle on the passenger side. It literally just slides in. You should make sure to fully seat the axle BEFORE installing the snap ring into the bearing housing. It's possible your bearing is on the other side of the snap ring and is causing the transmission side to be too short.

It's also possible you got the wrong axle.

#7 · (Edited)
One of the reasons you had difficulty removing the driveshaft is the old bearing tends to rust and stick in the mounting bracket. I had to cut mine out. Try taking some fine grade sandpaper and cleaning up the mating surface inside the bracket. Wipe clean, brake cleaner works well also, put some grease in the bracket and around the outside of the bearing and try again. Also test fit the snap ring in the groove to insure it is not bent from the removal process. Once everything seats, snap ring is in place and the lock bolt is snugged up it should stay put. If it doesn't I would suspect a bad component.

Rereading your post:
You may have damaged the bracket. The bolt should start by hand. It you can't get the bolts started without cross threading, stop and fix the problem. Forcing it and damaging the threads will only lead to bigger more expensive fixes.

The "I'm a girl " excuse only works to get somebody to change your tire. If you are underneath the car swapping driveshafts with greasy hands you're in the club.

#10 ·
+2 on hardtop...

i use a dent remover hammer to remove my axles btw. don't quite know how you'd use a come along to put the new axle on. it does just slip into place as everyone says it does fwiw...

always compare old and new parts. i even bring the old ones to the parts store when possible to ensure all is the same. you never know what you're getting anymore and the parts guy doesn't know anything more than what the 12" monochrome screen he's looking at tells him/her!

tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.