Toyota Nation Forum banner

Oil question

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  xXerocXx 
#1 ·
Hello all I have a 2010 4cyl camry I was wondering about the oil, the cap says 0W-20 how bad would it be if it was running 5W-30? would it cause any damage? Reason i ask is becuase when i went to Jiffy lube i beleive the manager told the guy to put 5W-30 in it.. i dont knowif he actually did though... thanks...

#2 ·
Your owners manual says to use 0w20 and if that's not available then to use 5w20. Toyotas EPA fuel mileage estimates were computed using 0w20. 5w30 will not damage the engine but your fuel mileage may be slightly less.
0w20 oil is usually a synthetic and costs more than standard 5w30 oil. Jiffy lube may not carry it.
The oil change interval on your car was changed to 10,000 mile intervals.

#7 ·
i really hate to burst your bubble, but jiffy lube uses Pennzoil, and they DO HAVE that viscosity, i know........i checked this out personally at the jiffy lube i got to. and where i go (jiffy lube) they have more than one check of the car before it gets started and drives away......

by the way, the oil change at jiffy lube will be "about" $65.00, nearly the same as the dealership............

#4 ·
If you are using Jiffy Lube, oil viscosity is the least of your problems....

#5 ·
If you are using Jiffy Lube, oil viscosity is the least of your problems....
+100.:clap:
make sure they using specified oil filter and put back drain bolt!:lol:

#9 ·
fot less money you can get 4 qts of full syntetic and filter and do it yourself!
4 qts X $6+ filter $5-7=10.000 miles intervals and no missing drain bolts!

#10 ·
i really hate to burst your bubble, but jiffy lube uses Pennzoil, and they DO HAVE that viscosity, i know........i checked this out personally at the jiffy lube i got to. and where i go (jiffy lube) they have more than one check of the car before it gets started and drives away......

by the way, the oil change at jiffy lube will be "about" $65.00, nearly the same as the dealership............
$65 Bucks!! rip off! go to wallmart, buy 5 quart bucket mobile 1 0w20 for $23 bucks fully synthetic! Fram filter for 5 bucks, go to your drive way and change it yourself...

Don't believe jiffy lube about their oil change intervals every 3k miles either.

#12 ·
I know guy in RI,his neighbor drove from jiffi lube back home with no drain plug and no oil.
engine got stock exactly at his drive way.

Guess who replaced motor on 2 yaers old B-r-uick (it not a warranty repair for sure,so it wasn't GM)?
no,you wrong,guy paid for new motor,but he got half of what he paid back from jiffy lube after 1.5 yeras in court.

And he still going to the same place,but now they very nice and accurate with his car.
yes.........$65.00.....and the dealer isn't much cheaper, maybe only a few dollars if that............also, at jiffy lube, they will top off the oil any time from one oil change to the next, at no extra charge....

as fro the burnt engine.......this is why they have several checks before the engine is started. in fact when i had my ranger, they had replaced my oil drain plug free of charge, because one time i had to go someplace else, and when i went for my next change at the jiffy lube, the guy saw that the drain plug was no good, and that's why he replaced it, so they wouldn't be charged with an engine replacement.

now too.......some jiffy lubes are independently owned......and some are owned as a chain by one person, so it all depends on where you are and where you go. but yeah, i too have read of jiffy lube horror stories, but they have gotten way better since then.........(in many areas)....and i trust the one i go to. for 3 years now.......

#11 ·
And no joke about the bolt- that happened to my Dad's neighbor... lol!
I know guy in RI,his neighbor drove from jiffi lube back home with no drain plug and no oil.
engine got stock exactly at his drive way.

Guess who replaced motor on 2 yaers old B-r-uick (it not a warranty repair for sure,so it wasn't GM)?
no,you wrong,guy paid for new motor,but he got half of what he paid back from jiffy lube after 1.5 yeras in court.

And he still going to the same place,but now they very nice and accurate with his car.

#15 ·
Not for synthetic oil but still would be cheaper than $65.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.