Toyota Nation Forum banner

Steps to replace the rear valve cover gasket

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Edmond 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2002 Camry v6 that is leaking oil in the front and rear cover gasket. The shop quote me $700 for the front and back replacement.

I think that was too much so I tried to do it myself. I was able to do the front one since it does not have a lots of stuff cover all over it. I called up a few shops on the rear cover replacement and they quote me $400+.

For the back one, what are the order of the components I needed to remove? I did look around in the site and I found some stuff on things you need to do to replace the spark plugs ( air filter assembly, strut bar and throttle body. Also removed the butterfly-valve assembly located on the passenger side ) but I did not find details on the rear valve cover.

Can any one point me on the order of what stuff to take off in sequence in order to get to the rear valve cover? Thanks.

#2 ·
remove airbox and intake tube assembly, discconnect throttle body (just let it hang by the coolant lines, dont remove it from the vehicle), remove plenum (there are a couple brackets that are attached to it, easier to access the bottom bolts from underneath the car, just loosen the lower bolts, dont remove them, you will have to remove the upper bolts, also disconnect the egr tubing at the same time), loosen wiring harness and move out of your way, then remove the valve cover. Not the easiest job but not horrible, but i guess it depends how handy you are Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.