Toyota Nation Forum banner

07 Le- rear speaker advice

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  maritimer555 
#1 ·
Advice on rear speaker replacement choices

My 2007 Le needs new rear speakers. Its not the JBL system. Future Shop (“FS”) have this on sale; Infinity Reference 6" x 9" 3-Way Car Speaker (REF9633CF). I am wondering if the stock stereo will be powerful enough to drive these new speakers.
My budget is not huge and these speakers are on sale for $80 for the pair.

2nd question ,- how hard is it to install replacement speakers in the LE. A quick read on this forum has me very catious in doing this myself, and FS will install for $60. Is the $60 , money well spent?

#2 ·
The stock Hu will play the speakers fine, but you will not get the optimum output of the speakers unless if you amp them. You can get a set of alpine's or infinity speakers on ebay for a bout that much or lesser too, so try looking there.

As far as the install, its fairly easy. Fold down the seats, Remove the side pillars(held on by clips) and then remove the rear deck. Then there will a carpet material you will have to fold over to get to the speakers. You can also get speaker adpaters on ebay so you can mount the speakers higher so it doesn't get in the way of the trunk bar. I also got speaker adapters from crutchfield.com because I didn't want to cut the wires or splice into the OEM Wiring.

Speaker adpater
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aftermarket...ry&hash=item3372fb09ae&vxp=mtr#ht_1327wt_1037

Speaker harness, I forget which one it is but one of them is out of stock
http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/speaker_harness.html

#3 ·
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting FS to install the speakers and am glad I did. The install did not go well. It turns out the speakers I bought had too large a magnet and a tweeter that buldged out too far and would not fit the camry. The subsitute kenwood spekers barley fit as well. So it would not have been easy for me to install myself. The camry trunk lid has a seris of bars at the back that move when the lid is opened, and that is what was casusing the problem. Raising the speakers also caused them to push into the back panel grills. So it was a deleicate adjustment.

So for anyone else looking to do this- ck the speaker fomation first to make sure it will clear those bars.
The stock stereo works the Kenwood speakers fine. I don’t get the bass boom like some of the souped up Civics I hear and feel 5 klm away, but it does the job for me.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.