Toyota Nation Forum banner

A/C leaking into Windshield Vents

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Kingdom934 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a Camry 2008 LE model and there is an issue when the a/c knob is set to send air through the main vents (driver side, center console, and passenger). If it is a humid day, I see fog spots on the windshield near the windshield vents underneath it. I feel very slight air coming out of it if I put my hand over the vents. Is this normal or this is an issue. Thanks!

*Also a couple years back, my car got broken into so a glass shard did enter the passenger air vent -- so maybe that glass shard is somewhere in the air passage where it doesn't allow the windshield vents to be completely shut?

#2 · (Edited)
My Camry, and all my other cars I've had, have always done that on a humid day... Well I only see it happens sometimes anyways for me, it only does it if I have the a/c on for a long time or if I have a window/or the sunroof cracked open. A very slight amount of air tends to come out of the top vents. It's sorta like closing the main vents, even though they look closed, a little air will still escape.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure that's normal. A little bit of air comes out the windshield vents on any setting. It may even be designed that way on purpose.

If ac is on cold those spots on the glass get cold then condensation if it is very humid. If you can stand it, it usually helps to bump the temp down off of max cold to get a little warmer air in the mix. Only enough to remain comfortable depending on how hot it is outside.

I didn't see the broken glass part at first read. It is possible that could be a factor in the vent operations.

#5 ·
The vents 'doors' that block the air from going through a certain vent is usually a piece of plastic with 'foam' material on the edges to create a 'seal' shut. Granted, they still let some air go through. Not sure if you've seen other cars, but as the car age, you'll see this dark foam like material in the air vents sometimes. Thats the foam pieces falling off.

Has this happen to other cars? Yep. every car I've driven.

If it is humid outside and inside your running your AC max, the only real way around it is tone down the AC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.