Toyota Nation Forum banner

06 Valve Question

917 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  leakyseals 
#1 ·
Hello all, I have a 2006 Camry 2.4l auto with 110,000 miles.

I noticed a loud tick and the engine feels like it wants to cut off at a stop but doesnt. I checked the valve clearance and some of the intake valves were loose and wanted to know how to reshim them, I'm sure some people have done this and want to know how.

#2 · (Edited)
You replace the "lifter buckets" (In parts catalogs as "VALVE LIFTER"), when they are warn, or a larger size if the cam lobe is warn. But that never happens, think you should hold off on that. You have Variable Valve Timing.

If the VVT-i actuator/controller becomes clogged, your going to tick, have rough idle, etc.

What oil brand and weight are you using?

#4 ·
Thickening to a "10w" cold startup weight might make it tick worse due to lack of oil flow at the vvt-i controller, stay with 5w. A "40" warm may be a thick flow issue not sure yet. If you can answer these will be helpful.

What exact brand of 5w40 are you using?
When did you start using 5w40?
How many oil changes with 5w40?
Why are you using 5w40 vs the spec 5w30?
How long are your Oil change intervals?

Trying to get some background so its less of a guess. Ticks on these engines are generally varnish/sludge clogging the VVT-i system. A little cleanup, tick goes away. May as well try a cleanup before tearing down for a mechanical fix, its cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.