Toyota Nation Forum banner

Would a speedway blue color for Gen 5/6 camry look good?

11K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  MathWiz 
#1 ·
I've been researching on color codes and decided to see if the body shops in Memphis TN are any good. I've come across a loud color and it's on the Tacos 2011 color code: 8p1 (i have it memorized) and it's the Speedway Blue you'd see on some Tacoma trucks. They don't have it for the 2012 editions.

I need a front end paint job really bad since my front looks like the car got skin cancered. :dunno:

I've been quoted for 600 for full body paint job any color I would like, just needing the color code to make it right.

Another example of maybe how it would look....

Now I need to know opinions if i should just save the cash and stick to the lunar mist silver my camry original's color is, or have some fun with the Speedway blue that makes the car noticeable every place I may go. :rolleyes:
My car is at 97,000 miles. hmmmmm.

See less See more
#4 ·
It would look fine on the car if you like blue. Do keep in mind that changing the color will cost a TON more because you literally have to take the car apart to do it right. Going back with the original color wold probably cost half as much.

#7 ·
Make sure they do the door jams, take out the trunk lining and spray it the same colour, same as under the hood.

Go big or go home! That is the reason why i stayed the same colour when i had mine painted it was going to cost a ton of money. So i upgraded on the black paint for my roof and went with OEM Lexus Obsidian

#8 ·
They told me to do the door jams would be extra $75 per door. And if I was painting at Econo paint in Memphis, like $600 with hood repair, for the whole car. But I may just not paint at all, but fix my frontend.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#11 ·
Sounds like a Maaco kind of paint job..thats a great color, do it right, don't skimp.

Glenn

#12 ·
What about the engine bay and hard to get areas? 600 bucks is going to get you painted wheel liners, struts, radiator, and other not so clean looking parts.

Changing a color completely is very expensive.

That Laguna Seca blue is NICE though.

#13 ·
Right now I'm doing more like a bidding system to choose who to go to. I figure no one in the whole forum has gone to Maaco to paint their whole car a new color. I would like to paint a blue or bluepurplish color. Since I will probably drop dump my car later on, just hoping to keep the look for a good while till I sell the car or the engine problems that cost $1500+ to fix pop up somehow.

The speedway blue is a factory color and should be able to be easily matched according to successfully using the same brand of paint. Doing a custom color is harder but I'll have the details documented just in case.

Anyone with the Gen 5 have the langua blue color on their cars?

-Bizeek

#14 ·
A few things to consider.

All paint color is mixed on the spot. It doesn't come any predetermined color. Point is... it doesn't matter what color you choose because they are going to mix it from a formula anyway.

No matter what the color, shops use a varying number of brands of paint. Better shops shoot Sikkens, PPG, DuPont, etc.

MAACO will do a mediocre at best complete paint job.

In order to change the color of a car correctly, you need to disassemble the car, remove all trim, and paint it inside and out. Very expensive to do and absolutely horrible looking if you don't.

#15 ·
I was going to do Laguna Seca Blue, until I found out how much it was going to cost to have it done properly. I eventually stuck with white and did Lexus Obsidian roof.

#16 ·
2 of the shops in Memphis have quoted me that they warranty the paint for as long as I own the car. So if I have it done properly at these places, it's 3 grand. I am still waiting on one of my cousin's friend's body shop owner, seeing how much they will paint the whole car for. Hopefully under 2 grand.

I have one more option is to paint the whole car white like current models, or add flakes into the white. Just this option because both my parents cars, Lexus and 2009 camry are also white. So I guess I wont get bitched out for choosing the color of the car, rather than spending my money on getting the car painted. Ha!

-Bizeek

#17 ·
I was going to do the SWP paint, but that would have still cost 4 grand as it is a 3 step process. (the shop I went to uses OEM paint does high end cars).

For what i had done, ( hood, grille, front bumper and touch ups...all white) and the roof Obsidian (3 step because it was a pearl black) it cost me 2 grand. no tax all cash.

You get what you pay for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.