Toyota Nation Forum banner

2005 xle 4 cyl increase rpm 30 mph

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  usndoc 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 XLE 4 cyl with 68K miles and a few weeks ago noticed the start of something odd... As the car goes from what appears to be 3-4th gear about 30 mph, there is a push in the rpm about 2-300 and then it shifts. It is not a hard shift, nor does it occur every time. Havent correlated it to first ride of the morning or increased based on being warm etc. Ive had no DTC codes. About 6K ago had transmission fluid flushed, front axles, ball joints, wheel bears, struts and hubs were replaced due to one side failing. Yesterday I brought it into the dealer and they were unable to reproduce. Only thing they found was ABS sensor codes- tested the sensors and found them to be working... Oddly enough, my wife mentioned a flashing brake light a few times when she drove the car recently(I drive it usually and have not seen such.)She is not a good historian so I cant find out if it was abs or brake light.

Transmission fluid is full, looks jut like when it was put in, without any metal shavings.

I purchased a sub for alldata and there are no tsb's for this vehicle that relate to anything like this.

So, any ideas about what may be the issue. Is it possible that there is an issue with these sensors causing this shifting symptom?

Thanks for the input.

See less See more
#3 ·
My 02 XLE has never had anything but T-IV drains every 30k. Never opened up for the filter. Its more of a screen than a filter. My experience has been one of the smoothest shifting transmissions of any car I've ever owned. Not one single problem.

Did this problem start after the flush? Have you checked the level? (engine hot, idling should be at the hot mark) What fluid was used? Where was it done?
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-112/LUBEGARD+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid+Protectant

#4 ·
Normal for the '05 5-speed. IMO, the '04 and earlier 4-speed were perfect.
5 and 6 speed automatics tend to be confused and shift all the time excessively. Add in the torque converter locking/unlocking and they get really annoying.

The only thing I would do is visit the dealer service department and find out if they used Toyota T-IV fluid. I've seen plenty of dealers use bulk universal unknown blender barrel ATF for flushes since their shop services multiple makes and models(dealer equivalent to a jippylube center). And, if you ask the service writer, he'll just lie. You need to walk into the shop where the flushes are being done and visibly see if the tech is using cases of Toyota fluid, or a barrel of locally blended multivehicle ATF.

If your ATF level is perfect, either drain or siphon out 12 ounces, and add a bottle of Lubegard Red(if proven to be OE fluid) or Lubegard Platinum(if any non-OE fluid), and keep driving. If you want, its also good to do an overnight battery disconnect.

If you're a 'doc', and once you pay down the million or two in student loans, JUST LEASE. You have bigger things to worry about(like your career, wine women song, and partying) than your vehicle's maintenance or getting your hands dirty. But, I do find that rolling under a car in a creeper is a good form of stress relief. I found other things, like jumping out of good airplanes, jumping off a non-failing bridge or crane with a rubber band strapped to my leg, zipping around at altitude on a cord, tough mudding, marathoning, biking, iron manning, rafting under water, petting sharks,.... are excessively overrated, boring, and are too commonly bucket listed.

#5 ·
No idea what fluid they used... Ill get it all replaced and start fresh to ensure it is the correct kind. I did an ECU reset and darn thing now runs really rough when idling(its been close to 300 miles and 2 weeks) so I think I have to clean the throttle body now :(

Will follow up in near future when done.

Yes, I am a doc, but military so we dont get the "big bucks." Do it for the love of my patients and the sacrifices they make rather than the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.