Toyota Nation Forum banner

Camry 2003 - maintenance and P0420 question

6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  leakyseals 
#1 ·
Hi, I own a Toyota Camry 2003, which has 130,000+. So far, I have just been changing oil changes religiously and other required fluid changes. Recently, I have noticed see some oil around the oil cap and I have CEL code P0420. No other problem.

So, at this point to enhance life for my Camry, exactly what kind of maintenance I should go for? Due to P0420, I am especially interested in knowing what types of seal, gaskets, valves should I replace?

I am asking this to you all, since I am afraid that the dealers would tell me all extra things, and of course, with much higher charge!

So, would you please help me?

Thank you very much.

#2 ·
If you do a search on here you will find many posts regarding this issue. In short, your manifold cat has gone below the threshold set by Toyota for catalyst efficiency. The cat is not "bad", just lost a small amount of efficiency. Usually due to long term oil consumption issues. Toyotas efficiency setting is much higher than the states emissions, so if you can put the light out, you can continue on with that cat until you fail state emission tailpipe test.

I run Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 on my 02, slowed consumption substantially. 5-6k OCI. walmart. To put out that CEL your options are new manifold cat $800 or spark plug anti-fouler on the rear o2 sensor $6. Again, Toyota's efficiency setting for the P0420 CEL exceeds state emissions. They will fail you for a CEL thats unnecessary, nothing is wrong if your passing the tailpipe test.

#3 ·
my car had this same code come up back in '09 at 49k mi when my grandma still owned it. was looking through service records and found that she took it in and they diagnosed the P0420 code as the exhaust manifold assembly and replaced it. hope this helps out :thumbsup:

#6 ·
should you decide to you want to replace the manifold, or any other parts for that matter, I do offer 30% off MSRP to members in here and charge actual shipping costs plus $2.00 for materials, etc.

I am an authorized Toyota Dealer who sells Genuine Toyota Parts and a site sponsor here.

#9 ·
P0420 is a cat code as was stated, it illuminates when you car is producing 1.5 times the federal limit for your year car and engine size. hope this helps. you can go with a toyota cat, or an aftermarket one. toyota cat would last a lot longer since their substrate is larger with more material (i.e. larger cat to burn off polutants) than an after market cat, but that is also reflected in the prices. hope this helps

#11 ·
Interesting. I used Seafoam a couple years ago and my CEL went on for a P0420 and never went off again. Why I'm using the anti-fouler.

Seafom MSDS:

Pale Oil 40.00 - 60.00 %
Naphtha 25.00 - 35.00 %
IPA 10.00 - 20.00 %

Pale oil is a lubricant. Naphtha is a solvent. Oil burning, lubricants and solvents all contribute to cat and o2 sensor fouling. The IPA is there for Seafoams original purpose - fuel stabilizer/removal of moisture for boat engines. IPA in the gas boosts octane levels, makes the car run better while its in there. IPA and Naphtha are volatile, which would increase combustion/exhaust temperatures, perhaps burning off cat buildup (similar to the scotty kilmer lacquer thinner trick).

My Camry doesn't see the highway much, so the cat never really gets that hot. What are your driving conditions - highway, run hard, car gets hot a lot?

#13 ·
Good info. I suspect that 15 mile highway commute is long enough to get the cat really hot. Combined with volatile Naphtha and IPA, red hot. While I'm against its use in general, if the lights on its worth a try. What is there to lose? Put it in, go on a trip somewhere on the highway that burns 1/2 tank, hours drive at 70, etc. If that doesnt work then go for the anti-fouler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.