Toyota Nation Forum banner

JBL vs. Non-JBL in the Gen 5 - Gen 7 Camrys

14K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Fulaman 
#1 ·
I hate to say this, but I don't see the point to the JBL sound system except name. I have an 03 Camry w/o the JBL and I have heard an 05 with the JBL and I could hear NO DIFFERENCE.

My dad has an 07 Camry Hybrid with the JBL 450 watt sound system and I am not impressed.

My mom has the 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE w/o the JBL sound system and the sound system sounds great just like my 03 without JBL. To me, the Speakers put out great bass (on both the 03 and 2012). The mids and highs seem good enough for me too, because I can still hear what the singers are saying and I can hear the drum "tick tick" mechanics while the bass hits/thumps.

#4 ·
Do you hear much of a difference? to me, the factory system is pretty good. I like the deep bass (I listen to Bass Mekanik and Bass 305). How are you liking it? Do you have a subwoofer now?

#5 · (Edited)
It's been a while since I've heard the JBL system in the Camry, so my little statement may not be the most accurate.

The stock Camry speakers are pretty decent, but IMO, they seem to be lacking that bass "punch" compared to the JBLs which also sound a bit clearer.

Now seeing as I'm a bit dated on JBL, here's a comparison I'm more recently familiar with. GM's stock speakers in a 2007 Tahoe sound horrible compared to the same year Tahoe with the Bose system. The bass on the stock speakers sounds horrible, and there is very little bass at all up in the mid-higher volume range. It also lacks clearity up in the mid-high volume range as well. Though considering it's GM, no wonder the stock speakers suck.

They're all overpriced anyways for what they offer. You can probably save a bit of money by buying some decent speakers (Alpines, Pioneer, Polks, etc), an amp, and end up having a better system than what the "Premium" system would be.

Whenever I get around to it, I'm planning on doing something similar to Mathwiz's. Still trying to decide between the SPS610C or SPR60C for the front. Might go with the F65 amp instead of the F35. Will do the same rear speakers as his. It's all up in the air at the moment, my modding fund is running low. :(

#6 ·
ROFL Zmon you are awesome "giving it's a GM it is no surprise the stock speakers suck" I have noticed that about not only GMs, but American cars in general. When they don't come with the premium sound system, the system is woeful. But with Japanese cars like Toyota and Honda, the Stock Systems are almost always as good as the Premium systems....Why is that???

From my experience with the stock 6 speaker system in the Camry which has 2 speakers in the window dash (same on both gen 5 gen 6 and gen 7), 2 on the front doors and 2 speakers in the rear pillar, the bass is more than adequate, I can hear all the deep tones and low frequencies. I listen to a lot of "Bass Music" from artists like Bass 305 and Bass Mekanik. I kid you not, I'm very impressed by how the speakers can pick up some of the low notes although not quite as good as say having a subwoofer.

Honestly, the only thing I will change is the headunit to a Nav/Bluetooth headunit (Kenwood 6190HD or Clarion NX602). I hope my sound quality won't diminish as a result of changing the headunit (meaning loss in bass).

#8 ·
I could hear NO DIFFERENCE.
well there is difference, in total output and bass, if you using your system to entertain not only yourself but other drivers as well. :)
quality wise, clarity and brightness of the sound are the same.
on stock non JBL units I would upgrade front door speakers to 3-4-way and add sound deadened into front door.
I've done it on 2007 and now on 2012 Camry. cleaner bass and bit better "stage" vs OEM speakers. they are sound better at high volume too.

#10 ·
In the Gen 5s I could not hear a difference between the JBL and non JBL sound systems.

In the Gen 6, I don't know how good the stock system is since my dads Camry Hybrid does include the JBL sound system (which I wasn't too impressed with).

My moms Gen 7 Camry Hybrid XLE does not have the JBL sound system (even though she purchased the car for $30k), however the factory system is more than adequate with bass.

#11 ·
Changing from the stock headunit to a different headunit (while still using stock speakers) might give you a bit more power to the speakers as aftermarkets headunits generally put out a little more power. Doubt you'll lose any bass, might gain some instead.
in many cases you can easily blow stock speakers -usually they are no mo than 20 watt rated or HU- stock camry unit and speakers rated at 2 omh, aftermarket stuff-4 omh.
if you replaced stock HU, find another $150-200 and replace speakers to use full potential of it.

#13 ·
#12 ·
My moms Gen 7 Camry Hybrid XLE does not have the JBL sound system (even though she purchased the car for $30k), however the factory system is more than adequate with bass.
agreed, stock audio makes more than enough base for me.
I keep my bass at -1, sometimes even at -2.
middle +1, highs at +2.

#15 · (Edited)
I really like the Entune, a lot like my Sync in my truck. No cables to play audio is awesome, though you'll lose a little bit of sound quality playing over BT versus usb/aux.

Yeah, forgot to mention you can possibly blow the speakers with a better headunit. Never had it happen to me though, seen it happen on a few friends cars though.

#16 ·
Definitely, in fact the Headunit I'm looking at for my 03 will have bluetooth audio streaming, it is a must in this modern day. I do agree you do lose a little bit of sound quality playing over BT versus USB/AUX, but it makes things a lot cleaner (I hate cables).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.