Toyota Nation Forum banner

Hid fog light issue

1K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Pvt-Public 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I recently put this kit in my vehicle about three weeks ago I purchased off ebay. It is a fog light kit which came with 8000K HID. Yesterday it was raining really hard then I noticed my front passenger HID fog light went out. It went out for about 5 hours. When I put the HID fogs on, it comes on for .5 seconds then shuts off. Then later in the night it started working again. Do you know why this must be? The driver side had been working fine all the time, it's just the passenger side. Could it be the HID kit could be cheap? It's working again...but I don't really want that to happen. I'm planning to take off the bumper to take a look at it this week. Thinking if I should just get buy a new HID kit....

#2 ·
El-cheapo e-bay HID kit, would be my first guess.
My second would be insufficient waterproofing of connections as is typical of cheapo kits.
My third would be the way it is wired.
In my opinion it should have been done right from the beginning. Yes it would have cost a bit more but in the end you will probably spend even more in wasted time alone just troubleshooting/repairing this, not to mention whatever replacement parts may be needed.

#6 ·
Well here's the thing. The fog lights are pre wired for my 09 camry. I plugged it in and added a fuse and it didn't work, so I'm guessing I'll need a switch for the steering wheel console. I just then used the wires that came with the fog light kit and new switch. The issue is, I don't know if it'll work for sure if I purchase a switch for steering wheel console and price.

#9 ·
If you do go the multi-function switch route, I couldn't find one one e-bay. I got mine from parts geek, they were the cheapest at the time. Just be sure to check at as many parts outlets as you can to find the least expensive. Others have had good luck with the after market harnesses, I just don't like extra wiring hanging around. Like I said it should work if your car was pre-wired, no guarantee, but it did work on my 02.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the help. I checked the dealer and they called 250. It's hard to find the switch. We dont have a parts geek where I live, which sucks. Parts stores doesn't have it either. I'm going to use what I have right now and just re wire it because I had to re wire this from two weeks ago. It's directly connected to the battery, so the leds on the switch stays on. I have to connect it to the ACC or something. I'll have to test out the circuit, which one can handle the power. If my fogs completely die out on me again, time to purchase some new supplies. For now it's working good..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.