Toyota Nation Forum banner

42 MPG on my '10 Camry V6

4K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  BlackCam09 
#1 ·
Managed to get 42 mpg on my V6 XLE. Ended up with 39.5mpg at the end of the 92 mile trip with some minutes spent in traffic getting out of town. The guys at Toyota sure know how to make great cars!

#9 ·
I don't mean to rain on your party, but 95 miles is not nearly enough to get an avarage, and that thing on the dash is rarely correct. If you calculate it out by hand, I'm afraid you'll be dissapointed. 32 maybe, 42, for 95 miles, maybe but averaged over a tankful, doubtful. Doing a lot of downhill driving can give you a false reading like that. Pop your Camry in neutral some time with low miles since filling the tank and see just how fast it counts up.

#13 ·
Try filling it up next time (your guage is well below what you drove) and check it the manual way- divide miles by gallons filled after you let the tank fill and click off the nozzle once. Drive at least 100 miles or more and then see. Your computer is trying to flatter you but I am sure you did well!

#15 ·
I can guess what my mpg with be within 1 mpg after driving 100 miles. I don't fill the tank until it is at least half empty so that would be up to 360 miles on my 2006 Camry. 360 miles is 20 percent higher than 300. 300 miles on a half tank is EPA 34 mpg. Add 20% to that and it is nearly 41 mpg which is what I get on my 4 cyl Camry now. The same goes for when the needle is firm at 180 miles on a quarter tank. I know how the tank is pulling.
I used to have a Mustang. New engine paid for by factory started to get 34 mpg which was high. I first noticed this after driving only 100 miles on the interstate. Proceeded to monitor this after 300 miles driven and same results, over and over.

no way buddy. I got 34.6 mpg. 480.7 miles driven. 13.88 gallons of fuel used. that was my best in 2006 camry v6.

you have to drive 300-500 miles to get better overall result.

#18 ·
I was able to get 45mpg to show up on my mom's 2005 Avalon Limited (Same V6 as in the Camry, slightly heavier car). I reset the meter on a flat farm road with a 50mph speed limit. I set the cruise control to 45mph and after almost exactly 10 miles on this farm road the average mileage was reading 45mpg. This farm road was in the hill country so I would even wager that on flatter terrain it would have done even better. At highway speeds, my mom's Avalon averages 30mpg with the cruise set at 65mph between San Antonio and Dallas. (That is resetting the meter at the start of the trip when entering the highway and does not include any city driving)

In my 2009 Camry SE V6, my last tank of gas was the best I have recorded this year. I averaged 27.25mpg over a full tank (Filled up at 430 miles). My lowest tank this year was 23.85mpg, when I spent all day on a treasure hunt in down town San Antonio and did a lot of idling.

#19 ·
Managed to get 42 mpg on my V6 XLE. Ended up with 39.5mpg at the end of the 92 mile trip with some minutes spent in traffic getting out of town. The guys at Toyota sure know how to make great cars!
I was able to get 45mpg to show up on my mom's 2005 AvalonLimited (Same V6 as in the Camry, slightly heavier car).

instead of spending millions on hybrid program toyota engineers should put this V-6 engine into corolla, or better yaris and I guaranty they can hit 120-150MPG on it. easy solution!
:banana:

#20 ·
You're absolutely right. The key to fuel efficiency, in many cases, is not by using small engines, but by having slightly overpowered ones on your car.
Lotus, for example, uses a Toyota v6 engine on their Evora model, same as the Camry. This engine on such a light car creates the perfect balance between weight and power, allowing the Evora to perform great on the track, as well as give excellent mpg's.

#23 ·
There is always "that guy" that claims to get unbelievable mileage out of his car (no matter what car). In this case, anybody can manipulate the trip / instant fuel economy numbers to make it look like they got huge mileage, but I guarantee the numbers will be more in line with everybody else once the tank is filled and the mileage is calculated accurately.

#24 ·
The mpg meter on my Camry only and always resets after you refuel the gas tank and does not give out instant mpg. I in no way attempted to manipulate the results, they were all performed under real world circumstances.
Sure, maybe its more accurate if I calculate my mpg by dividing miles traveled by gallons consumed after filling the tank, but my results are in no way far fetched. I got to 42mpg at a certain point, but as I already said, the mpg's at the end of the trip were lower than 42mpg. I'm not trying to boast, just wanted to share with the Camry community.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.