Toyota Nation Forum banner

04' Camry V6 mysterious leak? help?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  hardtopte72 
#1 ·
So a couple months back i noticed the wifes 04' 6cyl leaking what i thought to be oil right underneath the passenger side front tire.
Coincidently after we had done the 100k service (timing belt, etc).

Since that time, we have replaced the cv boot on the passenger side and a leaky power steering hose, but it has not corrected the leak.

I am sure it is not engine oil because we put some automotive florecent dye into the engine oil and checked it with a black light. Since the axle boot has been replaced i'm thinking it's not axle grease. However, the consistency of the grease is thick like grease not like oil or thinner fluid.

Whatever fluid this is, mixes with the condesation from the A/C and makes a nice littel mess.

Any ideas? Where else should i look?

#3 ·
You say it is more like a grease than a fluid, but appears to mix with the A/C condensation. If it actually mixes then it must be water based because grease/oil does not mix with water. Maybe you are just saying that the condensation water shows signs of having some type of oily substance (to some degree) in it. Dunno.

Nevertheless, I don't know of anything greasy that it could be. On the passenger side you have windshield washer cleaner (that would mix with water) but it is not greasy. Also on that side you have the antifreeze overflow container (that would mix with water) but it is not greasy. The power steering fluid is on that side, but it is not thick or greasy.

If you just recently had the timing belt changed the tech probably changed your water pump also...and maybe changed your cam seals and crank seal. I would focus on a possible antifreeze leak (water pump, hoses, overflow container) or possibly a glob of grease the tech may have wiped/left behind (from having changed the cam/crank seals) that has somehow fallen off in the puddle of condensation.

I'm guessing it's nothing to worry about. I'd probably run the car through a good car wash that sprays underneath the car, or wait for some rain and go driving...in hopes that any grease/oil left behind from the timing belt change will be removed. Then, keep an eye on things condensation puddle as well as fluid levels to see if anything looks amiss.

#4 ·
You said it was next to the front wheel, but then you say it is mixing with the condensate, which does not drip out anywhere near the wheel, so i am confused by this. The wheel bearing is sealed, and if it leaked there would be very little to leak out, and it would not be dripping. Check the clamps on the cv boot and verify they are tight and not allowing grease t escape. Beyond that, look directly up from the spot and see what it could be.....

Reactions: Donald E. George
#5 ·
to clarify...it's not mixing with a/c condensation but rather coming from the same area at the front of the firewall on the passenger side which is on the inside of the passenger side front wheel when it hits the ground... more toward the center line of the car. Front A arm is covered in it. Axle boot is new clean and clamps are tight. thanks for everyone's input.

#7 ·
Did you replace only the axle boot? This is rarely recommended for a few reasons.

1. Boots usually cost the same or more than a reman axle assembly.
2. Disassembly is harder and requires more tools than normal.
3. Much easier to reinstall improperly and get the problem you have.

I have seen boot replacements where it seems like the clamp is tight when it really isn't. This is because the air wasnt properly taken out and when the axle turns the air pocket creates a small opening and spews grease out.

I would clean the area completely with a rag and go for a drive. If the grease reappears and is the same color I would either take it back to whoever did the work or replace the entire axle with a reman that has a lifetime warranty. Personal experience I have had zero issues with the 50 dollar axles I have purchased for Autozone or Advance Auto. Never had one fail in any way. Also Detroitaxle on eBay sells very high quality reman axles.

If however the leak is more oil based then it's possible the technician replaced your cam and crank seals during the timing belt job. This is highly recommend to do while doing the timing belt. If the seals were replaced improperly (not installed flush, rolled inner diameter, gouged cam or crank on removal, etc.) it will cause a nasty leak that looks like something else because it originates behind the timing cover.

I would clean it off to start with and re-verify the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.