Toyota Nation Forum banner

rubber smell when driving uphill? normal?

73K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  junowat 
#1 ·
so ive been noticing that everytime i drive up hill or up a mountain. my car end up smelling like burnt rubber. why is that and is that normal? i dont floor it going up hill, i just let it change gear by itself.

#3 · (Edited)
I smell that too but mostly when I let the outside air in. I always think it came from other cars on the road too. But if I turn on the AC I don't smell anything.

I rarely use my brakes when going downhil, or on a flat road, I just maintain a good distance and downshift a lot, when my RPM goes to 2-3k it brings the car to an almost complete stop, again if u know how to maintain a good distance. All I gotta do is tap the brakes once and the car will come to a complete stop, no need to ride on the brakes like other ppl do. :D My 2GR has a stronger engine brake power than the 2AR though. ;) It helps when making an emergency stop too, I never rely on just the brakes, sometimes they're not strong enough.

#4 ·
It's the catalytic converter working, sulfur smell is normal. rubber smell...maybe you're burning tires lol

#5 ·
Is the car a stick shift? I could see how the smell of a slipping clutch could be confused with a burning rubber smell

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#6 · (Edited)
You may be burning tire as well.
Every time I go to Oceanside in SD my rear tires start lighting up my fenders an inner wheel well.
All the weight transfers to the back even when empty
Just another thing to consider cause I know you're lowered.

#9 ·
oh no. i always had this problem and its not when i get downhill. my gf lives uphill in the mountain so when i drop her off i smell it. when i get downhill with my windows opened i dont smell it. it may not be a rubber smell. im not sure. maybe its what cking said. but i even had the same problem when i was driving my 2003 camry. so i dont think its rubbing or anything with my tires

GTR, how do you downshift without using much of the breaks? all i do is downshift once when i go downhill and i helps me from accelerating faster...

#27 · (Edited)
low gear = more torque. high gear = less torque.

like i said, my old car, 2003 camry le. all stock. no aftermarket parts. i still get the smell.
i only get the smell after going uphill. when i walk out of my car right after i drove uphill, i can sell it. i even open he engine bay and start sniffing like a crack addict and theres nothing. idk where its coming from. it smells kinda like rubber and sulfer? idk not sure
i only get the smell outside. i get no smell inside.
most likely the car's exhaust just doing work.
my car did that in the beginning, i thought it was just breaking in.
but if i push it a little hard, i get that smell too.
also could be your tires. uphill = more torque/power required = more friction on ur tires.

well my 2010 camry is out of alignment so the tires are not aligned right. but my 2003 camry, everything was good...so idk why i have the smell too. maybe its what cking said on the first page
and it could be because ur alignment is off, so the tires are not properly in spec.

plus it's only on the outside so in my perspective, it's just the car doing work.
if its on the inside, i would be more concerned.

#13 · (Edited)
Downshifting when going uphill to change to lower gear and get more power to pass slower cars. ;) U can do this in D by pressing the gas pedal more, but it's more fun in S mode. :D

Dowshifting when going downhill will help slowing down ur car without using brakes. I downshift every time to avoid wearing out my brakes and not over-revving of course. Like I said, the V6 has stronger engine braking power than the I4s, so once my RPM hits 3K, it can slow down the car to an almost complete stop, very useful in stop n go traffic. ;)

#16 ·
My car doesn't have the rubber smell. I go on a long uphill to my house daily and never smell anything like that. I heard that if it smells like sulfur, you should double-check your gas or exhaust.

I only downshift when going on a long downhill. Otherwise, I use my brake. My brake pads are still OEM with 60% front and 50% rear remaining (my car has 53k miles).

#20 ·
#21 · (Edited)
You didn't provide any vehicle info, assume its the link in your signature. You have a number of electrical mods which can cause heat, overloading wiring, etc. resulting in a burning smell. Sure, its only uphill, but air flow is different. Something to consider beyond a transmission that's slipping, oil leak, and things others have described.

#23 ·
like i said, my old car, 2003 camry le. all stock. no aftermarket parts. i still get the smell.

i only get the smell after going uphill. when i walk out of my car right after i drove uphill, i can sell it. i even open he engine bay and start sniffing like a crack addict and theres nothing. idk where its coming from. it smells kinda like rubber and sulfer? idk not sure

i only get the smell outside. i get no smell inside.

#28 ·
BTW. I had an account in CA with a prior employer. Had to go through the Santa Cruz Mountains. Torturous ascent left the rental car huffing and puffing, smelling pretty bad. Descent nearly wore out the brakes. So I am somewhat familiar with that smell. Was it rubber? exhaust smell? oil? transmission? Who knows. What smells like rubber to me smells like pee to somebody else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.