Toyota Nation Forum banner

Fuel Filter Access in 2004 Camry V4

20K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  deadrx7conv 
#1 ·
What's the deal with making fuel filters difficult to replace? My engine has started sputtering (cutting in and out) and I began to wonder if it was the fuel filter. So, I investigated how to change it. Apparently it's part of the fuel pump and located in the fuel tank -- good grief.

A filter is there to catch stuff, and if it catches stuff it can get clogged, if it gets clogged it has to be replaced. It appears they put in the filter to catch stuff but assumed it never would.

Has anyone changed their pump/filter? How bad was it?

#2 ·
Things are not as they were 20 years ago. Its more of a screen than a filter today. Not sure any modern vehicle has en external fuel filter anymore. Its likely something else, but a good start would be a couple of bottles of Techron complete fuel system cleaner and a throttle body cleaning.

Also put a scanner on it, see if there are any pending codes.

#4 ·
Thanks for your reply. It still seems like a filter it put there to catch something and when it does it will. But, depending on the mesh of the screen it may not catch much.

Were '94 Camry fuel filters the same kind of screens?

Yes, I knew it's a straight 4, I intended to say 4cyl like I do in the tagline but wasn't thinking.

#6 ·
Automakers are trusting your local gas station since all fuel is filtered before being pumped into your car. So, why would you need a filter?

You have a screen/sock at the fuel pump. Anything small enough to get past the sock, will be ground up by the fuel pump. Supposedly, it'll get ground up small enough to get past the fuel injector's orifice. Most pumps now have an passive comminutor design to them. Supposedly, statistical pump and injector life hasn't changed whether there is a fuel filter or not. Love to see the automaker's 'cost' vs 'failure' study.

I, on the other hand, believe that the 'disposable car mentality' has creeped up on all maintenance items to simply reduce the initial cost of ownership, which is to just survive the normal vehicle's warranty period. Toyota saved a few bucks. As the vehicle wears, the owners eats the repair bill, or lives on Ramen Noodles to pay that bill.

Have your fuel pressure tested. If its an issue, you're stuck with pump replacement. If not fuel PSI related, then you'll have to troubleshoot everything else(plugs, air filter, dirty TB, vacuum leaks....).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.