Toyota Nation Forum banner

2005 Camry Brake Sounds

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BlackCamSe 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2005 camry, 25k miles on it. I notice that when I go over a bump road or potholes and try to break at the same time, the brake would rattle and it's like it get stuck. The brake pedal would respond the same way, I would press down on it but it will resist my foot pushing down on it. I could still brake but it's not as responsive.

Also lately, 3 times in the last 2 months my car won;t start on the first try.

Any advice on the brakes and the car starting?

Thanks

#2 ·
The car is getting older and you are up north in the snow and ice. Look at the calipers and make sure they move in and out smoothly, and that those two slide pins are not rusted and sticking. You may need to replace those or grease the old ones after running emery paper over them to smooth them out and get rid of surface crud.

As for hard starts, we would need more info, but again, when is the last time you checked the air filter, cleaned the throttle body and mass air flow sensor, and added some good gas tratment to the tank? That's where I would start. Driving a car too little can harm more than driving a lot.

Reactions: Donald E. George
#3 · (Edited)
I bet any amount of money that what your feeling is the anti lock brakess kicking in. That's a very common complaint that we get at the shop on cars with ABS. It likes to kick in on rough roads because one wheel may slightly lock up as its falling into a pothole or bump. ABS makes a ratteling type noise as it activates. And also limits the amount you can apply the brakes. You may even feel the pedal pulsate some along with the clicking noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.