Toyota Nation Forum banner

Shock Question and Pinging noise

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  kaashifv 
#1 ·
Hello all...I currently own a 2007 Camry LE 4cycl, and so far its been running great with about 115000kms. I have tried searching on this forum but did not find a solution/answer to my questions.

First off, I was rotating my tires and notices that the outer cover on the shocks (all 4) is loose...is this normal or is it a sign that they need changing (I have never changed anything related to suspension, so i wouldn't know)?

This is what I am referring to:
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7161/hamilton22012072100017.jpg

The second issue is more difficult to pinpoint. When i am stopped at a stop sign or light, and i accelerate I hear kind of a pinging noise, if i rev the engine in neutral i don't hear the noise. I had the dealer check it and they said it could be the flex pipe, which i had changed but the noise is still there. Any suggestions on what it could be? The pinging noise is like a metallic noise, ie like pins inside a metal container.

Thanks in advance for any help.

#4 ·
I have my 2004 4cyl camry and it's the same sound you speak of, but in my kind of sound to word pronoucitation, it would sound like pingpong balls pinging around. Or i would say, geeek geek....urrrnn geek geeeek gk gk gke gkke gke. :wtf:

I tried to get a recording of it with my iphone but it's not working because of wind into the microphone so i can't get a clear recording at all. I would need to put the front wheels on a homemade dyno or raise the front for the wheels to be off the ground, and do it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.