Toyota Nation Forum banner

Steering not sitting straight

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  leakyseals 
#1 ·
Issues with my 04 Camry, my steering is not sitting straight. The wires are straight but the steering wheel will be a bit to the right. I can easily make it straight without affecting the wires. The steering wheel is always a little to the right compared to the tires. Is this a geometry misalignment issues or something with the steering?

#2 ·
>>>Is this a geometry misalignment issues or something with the steering?

Yes

If the steering wheel was at one time centered then the toe on one or both wheels is off and you should have it aligned. The quick temporary fix if you see no tire wear would be to adjust the tie rods. If by centering the steering wheel the car drifts to the left, then lengthen the left tie rod one half turn and shorten the right tie rod one half turn, resnug the lock nuts and see how it goes.

#3 ·
Getting a tech to properly align the steering wheel while doing an alignment seems to be a difficult thing. gdanaher is correct. IF you can move each side an equal amount you can fix it yourself. But insisting it's done correctly while getting an alignment is probably your best option.

#4 ·
Get an alignment would be the easy fix.

was this an issue that just occured randomly? or did u mod something?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.