Toyota Nation Forum banner

2003 Camry AC Problems

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Todd1970 
#1 ·
Hey All, I could really use some advice before I take my wife's car in for service. We bought her Camry used from local dealer and has been a great car, except the ac has never been all that cold. To start, it's not the magnetic relay in the fuse box. Here's what has happened. I bought a Hayes service manual and looked up what was needed for a charge kit and to troubleshoot in general. It told me to check to check the two lines closest to the firewall and they should be somewhat close in temperature...but one was really warm and one was cold. The manual said to check with the gauge on the kit and it showed it was a little low given the ambient temp. so I added 12 oz. R134a to the low side while the car was running at max cold output setting. No real difference in temp at the vents in the car. I noticed a sight hole in a block in one of the lines in the front of the engine. can someone tell me what I am supposed to see at that point? Does all this mean the compressor is bad? .....or something else? Any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Todd

#3 ·
Hey All, I could really use some advice before I take my wife's car in for service. We bought her Camry used from local dealer and has been a great car, except the ac has never been all that cold. To start, it's not the magnetic relay in the fuse box. Here's what has happened. I bought a Hayes service manual and looked up what was needed for a charge kit and to troubleshoot in general. It told me to check to check the two lines closest to the firewall and they should be somewhat close in temperature...but one was really warm and one was cold. The manual said to check with the gauge on the kit and it showed it was a little low given the ambient temp. so I added 12 oz. R134a to the low side while the car was running at max cold output setting. No real difference in temp at the vents in the car. I noticed a sight hole in a block in one of the lines in the front of the engine. can someone tell me what I am supposed to see at that point? Does all this mean the compressor is bad? .....or something else? Any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Todd
A "hot" liquid line[small] and a "cold" vapor line[large] means the AC is working properly. Maybe it's too hot and humid for the AC to produce a comfortable cabin. It's 100F here today and our 04 AC system could only produce 50F air on our trip to the grocery store. Out on the highway, where the condenser has adequate air flow, it will produce 40F discharge air. Your system only takes 20oz of R-134 and the +/- is about 2.5 oz. Find an AC mechanic and have him check your system with gauges.Only way to get your system up to specs. A "slight hole" you can see would probably let refrigerant escape so fast that oil would be seen around the leak. Do you see oil? If the vapor line is "cold', the compressor is functionig properly. The air mix door in the HVAC unit could also be out of position due to a bad or failed servo motor. This door blends AC air and heated air to a desired outlet temp. Some things to consider. Regards

#4 ·
If you are not trained in auto air, you frankly have no business ever trying to touch it, especially by adding refrigerant. Look under the hood, if it tells you to add 18 ounces, then you evacuate the system into the containment vessel you own for this purpose, draw a 2 atm vacuum, and then add 18 ounces, no more no less. If you are not properly equipped, give the work to someone who is, or risk prison for evacuating to the atmosphere.

Reactions: Donald E. George
#5 ·
Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to the guys who commented on my post. I clearly am not a technician
...well I am...Just not an automobile repair tech. I am Wind Tunnel Lab technician...testing electric motors. I don't deal with refrigerant. But anyway, I wanted to have a sense of what might be a problem with the ac in my wife's car. Yes, I did add refrigerant and perhaps I have added to much..but I followed all instructions to the "T". I do believe in doing things the right way, so as soon as I can, I will be taking the car in for a proper service.

@Donald E George: I was referring to a block in the liquid line where you can see the refrigerant flowing...not a leak....but i never could see any flow. :D

Once again, thanks for all you input and no doubt I am going to take it in for service on Friday.
You guys are great!
Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.