Toyota Nation Forum banner

07 camry 4 cyl crank but won't start

81K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Mike Gerber 
#1 · (Edited)
I brought the car home last night and shut it off. This morning went out and engine will crank but doesn't show any signs of fuel or spark. Removed one plug and grounded it to block while someone cranked it. No spark. I dumped a little fuel in the cylinder just to see if I could get it to cough or something, but nothing. I tried looking for blown fuses under hood and under dash but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. I pulled out all relays and tapped them and reinstalled. No help. I tried disconnecting the battery to reset ecu and that didn't work either. There are some relays marked that I don't recognize. Any suggestions????

#3 ·
I would try a different key. My neighbor had a similar issue with her Infiniti; it turned out that the transponder security chip in the key went bad. She tried her spare key and voila!! the car fired right up. Just a suggestion. Hope this helps.

Reactions: dricha21
#4 ·
Yes most likely your issue stems from the immobilizer.

The easiest way to check a fuel line is to unclip the fuel line holder near the firewall and remove the fuel line by pushing in the quick disconnect clips and pulling off the line.

The relay for the fuel pump is called "Circuit Open" or "Cir Open" under the relay box. However on the Gen 6 I do believe Toyota moved the relay behind the dash.

As mentioned try another key first to rule that out.

Reactions: davedolle
#5 · (Edited)
I sprayed starter fluid in the intake while cranking motor and it tried to run, so not a spark issue. I finally got the rear seat out and found no power at the fuel pump. Paid 15 bucks for 2 days use on Toyota's TIS website and downloaded the wiring prints I needed for t/s the problem. I had a heck of a time locating the c/opn relay in my fuse panel area. Turns out you have to take a 10mm bolt out of the fuse box that goes into the fender. I thought it held the whole fuse panel box in but as it turns out it just holds the c/opn relay and the efi relay. It doesn't look like a traditional relay. Who knew? This whole panel comes out from the relay panel and is about 6x6 inches square and about an inch thick. There are 2 blocks that plug into the bottom of this block where you can disconnect and start testing for voltages. After much troubleshooting and head scratching, I discovered a broke wire that delivers the 12v to the relay that operates the fuel pump. Now what do I do? I called Toyota to see if I could terminate one wire with a new pin and reinstall. Nope!!! They suggested I go to a junk yard and cut off a whole connector and splice it in or buy a new harness for 200 bucks. No junk yards in my area has one. I was an avionics mechanic for Delta for 16 years and I knew if I poked around long enough I could get the broken off piece to release and come out of the connector. We had all the proper tools on aircraft to do this but on a car I just had to poke around a while with a safety pin. I finally got it out and resolder the broke end off. Put it back together and it fired right up. 2 of my days off to fix this thing. Can't believe you can't get the stuff to reterminate one wire. Toyota's own manual has a section in it for repairing this exact problem and they don't even use it. I don't know how long my repair will last, but it got me on the road till I find a new connector to splice in. Hope this helps somebody in the future. Just finding those relays was a nightmare. Thanks to all of you who tried to help. I have 155,000 on my camry and this is the first problem I have had. I have 2 other Toyota's and all together about 450,000 miles total and have had 1 water pump go bad. Love my Toyota's.

#7 ·
Wow good figuring that out.

I second that. Any indication of how the wire was broken? Dash work before? Was it broken at a splice or just on the wire itself?

Reactions: dricha21
#8 ·
I was curious also why the wire would have broke, no stress on it, etc. Could it have been heat? I just finished splicing the trunk wires in my daughter's 99 Camry that broke. Terrible idea how they wired the Gen 4's back then on the left side of the trunk, always getting stressed out when you open the trunk. Good job figuring that one out!!

:thanks:

#9 · (Edited)
I noticed the typical green corrosion on the bottom of the bad wire and the one on either side of it when I first disconnected the connector. It didn't look bad enough to be eaten thru the whole wire. I couldn't really see the worst of it up inside the connector. just from plugging it in and disconnecting it many times that i got lucky and the wire popped out. There was just enough metal left on the end of the wire to leave me solder it back together. I still don't trust the repair but it will get me thru for a while till I find a connector. I think the solder job will hold up but i am afraid one good pothole could possibly cause the pin come loose from the relay. I bought the car new and have never been in that relay panel under the hood till now. Don't know what could have caused that but it is not unusual for electrical connectors to corrode like that. Just a weird cowinkadink I guess.

#10 ·
Cranks but won't start

I have an 05 camry with a 2.4l engine. I parked the car in my driveway and when i came back out the car would only crank but no start. I attached a code reader to the diagnostic link and found no code. I tried spraying fuel into the throttle body and nothing. I suspect it's a security issue but i don't know how to confirm. Can someone out there point me in the right direction?:|

#11 ·
I have an 05 camry with a 2.4l engine. I parked the car in my driveway and when i came back out the car would only crank but no start. I attached a code reader to the diagnostic link and found no code. I tried spraying fuel into the throttle body and nothing. I suspect it's a security issue but i don't know how to confirm. Can someone out there point me in the right direction?:|
Is the starter engaging? DO you get a clicking sound, or the engine is trying to turn over but can't? Or is there nothing happening when you turn the key - no sound, nothing?

#12 ·
I have a 2009 Toyota Camry. I suddenly experienced a no crank no start. I checked the battery, alternator (both good), I replaced the starter without checking to see if it was good or not, I also changed to Ignition starter and it started up for 2 days, and now I'm back to no crank no start. Can anyone tell me what else it could be. I keep reading about the security alarm. I think I'll try that and see if it works.

#13 ·
We need to know how it is not starting. One of three ways:

1. Nothing at all happens when you turn the key. No click, no chug, no sounds at all.
2. A click-click-click type of sound, very rapid.
3. A chug-chug-chug type of sound, deeper and rumbling like the engine trying to turn over.

Each of those indicate a different cause.

#15 ·
I live in a rural location. A rodent made a nest in my wiring harness and chewed the wire. An auto electric mechanic spliced the harness where the damage occurred. I was told that Toyota and Honda make harnesses with eco-friendly materials -- rodents enjoy the taste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.