Toyota Nation Forum banner

Which 3M Tape To Use For Trunk Lip Spoiler Install

27K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Kooter 
#1 ·
I got a lip spoiler from ebay and I dont want to drill holes to install it. I have read some post where people have use just 3M tape with good results. There are several listed in 3M's website, which one yous recommend? I seen white, black and grey tapes. The all have the red cover film.

THNX,

#3 · (Edited)
Just color match the tapes with your car if possible. Simple enough.
-Bizeek
Lol, you can't see the tape though?

Use the grey one.

Industrial strength.

they should have a rating system or lists how much weight the tape can take, choose the highest one.

But on all of the parts I've seen come with 3M DST, it's always grey for cars.

White is for households lol.

#5 ·
I installed my lip spoiler about 4 years ago, drilled holes for bolts and used 3m tape around the perimeter to prevent water from getting in. However over the years that taping has eroded and dried up, causing it to crumble (probably because of the brutal Texas heat). It's bolted on and doesn't move one bit still, but I want to avoid water getting in there at all costs. What could I use that would seal it without removing the whole lip?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#7 ·
I installed my lip spoiler about 4 years ago, drilled holes for bolts and used 3m tape around the perimeter to prevent water from getting in. However over the years that taping has eroded and dried up, causing it to crumble (probably because of the brutal Texas heat). It's bolted on and doesn't move one bit still, but I want to avoid water getting in there at all costs. What could I use that would seal it without removing the whole lip?
Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I would try RTV Silicone

THNX, However, the 3M website does list the holding strength of the different model tapes.. I have this one already:

3M™ Scotch Mount™ Molding Tape, 1/2 inch, 03614

But also saw this one:
3M™ Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape, Black, 1/2 inch X 5 yards, 45 mil, 06384

An also this one:
3M™ Automotive Acrylic Plus Premium Attachment Tape, 1/2 inch x 5 yards, 45 mil, 06390
So, which one to use?
I'd say anyone of those would be just fine.
There's not going to be that much force on it if anything.

If I had to pick though, I'd pick the 3rd one "acrylic plus premium".

#6 ·
#8 ·
Yea, you don't want some dammned kid prying and ripping off your newly installed trunk lip kit that you just bought and put on yourself.

-Bizeek

#10 ·
Yea, you don't want some dammned kid prying and ripping off your newly installed trunk lip kit that you just bought and put on yourself.
-Bizeek
well since its bolted water cant go in.. when i got mine installed. theres a gap (spoiler wasnt made perfectly) so whenever i wash my car, water goes through it. but water doesnt go in.. so it doesnt matter if u want to replace your 3m tape. but no, water wont go in since its bolted there.

el, i dont think its a good idea to install a spoiler with just the 3M tape and not bolt it down. i have heard of cases where people have their roof spoiler stolen from their vehicle becuz its held down by 3m tape only. so to prevent your spoiler from being stolen, i suggest you bolt it down.
I hope you meant the trunk spoiler.

#9 ·
well since its bolted water cant go in.. when i got mine installed. theres a gap (spoiler wasnt made perfectly) so whenever i wash my car, water goes through it. but water doesnt go in.. so it doesnt matter if u want to replace your 3m tape. but no, water wont go in since its bolted there.

el, i dont think its a good idea to install a spoiler with just the 3M tape and not bolt it down. i have heard of cases where people have their roof spoiler stolen from their vehicle becuz its held down by 3m tape only. so to prevent your spoiler from being stolen, i suggest you bolt it down.

#11 · (Edited)
BMW trunk lip spoilers use 3M tape - either grey, black or white with (as I recall) red mylar film covering the adhesive. The spoiler ain't coming off even at 200mph, and not without a whole lot of both muscle and mechanical effort. I've got a BMW M3 trunk spoiler on my '04 XLE that has been on the car since I took delivery of it. Any good body shop will have the 3M tape if the spoiler doesn't come with it already applied to the spoiler.

#17 ·
Good gosh - how big is this spoiler and how much does it weigh? Does it have a huge captive (wind) area like an umbrella?

#20 ·
3M industrial strength tape. No drilling. Almost impossible to pull off the lip spoiler without risking breaking the spoiler itself.
Icon, that spoiler looks good and is what I am looking for to place on my '04. Do you mind sharing where you purchased it and whether it came pre-painted or you had it done after receipt?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.