Toyota Nation Forum banner

Changing Tranny Fluid on 2010 Camry 4cyl.

6K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  btanchors 
#1 ·
Greetings all,

I just purchased a used 2010 Camry LE 4cylinder. This is my third Camry, but bear in mind my first Camry was a 1991, and the second was a 1998, so a lot has changed since then.

I want to perform a drain/refill of the tranny fluid. I am well-aware of the "sealed" transmission and WS requirements, and in fact, have already done this procedure a couple of times on my 2006 Tundra. Despite this experience, this 2010 Camry has raised a couple of questions.

1) My earlier two Camrys had separate differential and transmission compartments that had to be drained and refilled separately. It appears this new one has changed to a single compartment for both the transmission and differential, so that one drain/refill takes care of both the transmission and differential - Can someone confirm this is correct?

2) My 2006 Tundra has a drain plug, and a separate "check" plug/tube for determining the proper fluid level. BUT this 2010 Camry only has a single plug on the transmission pan. The manual I downloaded from the Toyota techinfo site seems to indicate this plug has the "check" tube for determining the proper fluid level, but it isn't clear if the plug can be completely removed to drain the fluid. The manual isn't clear. Has anyone out there actually done this on their 2010/2011 4-cylinder Camry that can describe how it works?

3) For those that have drained/refilled their fluid on the 2010 4cylinder Camry, can you get to the fill plug without removing the driver's side front tire, or does the tire have to be removed?

Thanks for any help!

See less See more
#8 ·
JimBowNut,

Thanks for posting the picture. The "Plug" I am referring to is 35106A on your diagram. The documentation I have from the TIS site indicates it is a "check plug" with a tube that extends up into the pan. What I am not sure of is if it is also removable so that I can completely drain the pan.

It's hard to tell if the 35104Q is actually a drain plug or not.

I did a fairly extensive search on this forum and found something that "implied" the Camrys now use a "common" compartment for both transmission and differential, but it wasn't definitive. I do know for a fact my 1991 and 1998 Camrys had separate compartments for this.

Thanks again for posting the pic. I think the best way would be for someone who has actually done a drain and refill on this model to chime in. Anyone out there done this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.