Toyota Nation Forum banner

Best lowering spring for minimal lowering?

Tags
h&r springs trd
2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  burnout8488 
#1 ·
The car: 07 SE V6

Straight out of the box, I think it's the H&Rs... but, if I'm missing something, can someone please chime in? I want the least amount of drop possible on this car. Not happy with my TRDs. If H&Rs aren't any better, I may go back to stock. Stock was awesome, fender gap sucked though. Drivability is key now.

If anyone can provide a straight up answer to the following question, it would be wonderful, and save me a bit of stress.

• Is the front ride height higher with H&R V6 springs in direct comparison to TRD springs?

I understand the H&Rs are a bit higher in the rear, which is great and what I want, but am unsure about the front. I don't want to hear the specs from each company (1.6", 1.3"...etc... no theoreticals!) - Just if anyone knows if H&R springs lower the front of a Camry less than the TRD springs in the real world.

:thanks:

See less See more
#3 ·
Great, thanks, reassuring! :) It's hard finding a picture of a V6 with stock wheels/rubber that has the H&Rs installed. Most people have aftermarket wheels with the wrong sized tires, so I can't get a good idea of the drop.

I guess the next step is to see if anyone has a good pic of a V6 with the stock sized 17" tires installed, and H&Rs, just so I can see the difference.

#4 · (Edited)
Also, maybe I just need to vent, but it seems there is a ton of misinformation running around this board about the TRD springs.

I have absolutely zero suspension travel up front it seems. I cannot put weight on the car and bounce the front end - it is solid and only compresses the tires. This leads me to believe the front is basically sitting on the bumpstops, or is extremely close.

The ride is awful, I can hear the car bottoming out on the bumpstops every time I hit a crease in the road. The car bounces for a few feet after hitting the bump - there is NO shock absorption. The TRD springs don't even seem that much stiffer, yet the stock KYB shocks certainly can't cope with them.

The rear is essentially worthless. With four passengers, I would be driving around on the rear bumpstops, effectively eliminating the utility of buying a four door sedan. I stuck my finger in the strut with the car on the ground and the bumpstop is almost touching with an unloaded vehicle.

How is it even possible to drop the car on Teins without eliminating every centimeter of suspension travel? I guess most of the members just don't care??:eek: It seems to me that H&R is the only way to go for a mild chassis upgrade, and coils are the next logical step to avoid ruining struts.

#5 ·
Also, maybe I just need to vent, but it seems there is a ton of misinformation running around this board about the TRD springs.

I have absolutely zero suspension travel up front it seems. I cannot put weight on the car and bounce the front end - it is solid and only compresses the tires. This leads me to believe the front is basically sitting on the bumpstops, or is extremely close.

The ride is awful, I can hear the car bottoming out on the bumpstops every time I hit a crease in the road. The car bounces for a few feet after hitting the bump - there is NO shock absorption. The TRD springs don't even seem that much stiffer, yet the stock KYB shocks certainly can't cope with them.

The rear is essentially worthless. With four passengers, I would be driving around on the rear bumpstops, effectively eliminating the utility of buying a four door sedan. I stuck my finger in the strut with the car on the ground and the bumpstop is almost touching with an unloaded vehicle.

How is it even possible to drop the car on Teins without eliminating every centimeter of suspension travel? I guess most of the members just don't care??:eek: It seems to me that H&R is the only way to go for a mild chassis upgrade, and coils are the next logical step to avoid ruining struts.
Is it also true for an I4? I have TRD Springs and somewhat agree with your feelings. I still have suspension traveling but not much. I don't like going through bumps either and always feel (and even can hear) like my car is dropping heavily on the ground (especially the front). I see other cars going like 8-10 mph over the bumps, but my car can only go 2-3 mph.

#6 ·
I'd imagine since you have a 4cyl that it's probably not as bad as mine, but still must be close. I just find it odd that I browsed the forum last night for a few hours and have not found anything negative about the TRD drop, other than the saggy butt problem.

I'll pick up a set of H&Rs tonight on eBay ($215.99 shipped) probably and get rid of this problem once and for all.... I hope. Would be nice to find a set used though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.