Toyota Nation Forum banner

I'm strongly considering...

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Zbayer 
#1 ·
Getting this headunit:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46291_JVC-KW-NT300.html

over the Clarion NX602, my 1 and only main concern is that I feel that if I replace the headunit that I will have a loss in bass (and I enjoy bass because I'm still in my 20s). I know our Camrys come with 2 3.5" mid-tweeters in the front dash and 4 6x9 speakers (2 on front door), 2 on rear deck. My Camry is a 2003 w/o the JBL, but it is quite BASSY, rear-view mirror and side-view mirror shakes. On the outside of the car, it sounds as if there is a subwoofer, but in reality it is the 4 stock 6 x 9s. Will I lose bass replacing the headunit. I will either get it replaced at Best Buy or a competitor (Fry's electronics in the California Bay Area).

#5 ·
did you ever manage to listen to your system with just the headunit in? if so did you notice a difference in sound quality? in bass loss?

#7 ·
No you will not lose bass, because the aftermarket h/u will have sound settings you can tweak to your liking more then the stock h/u. The stock h/u will have have bass, treble, and a few others I forget I haven't used a stock h/u in a while compared to lets say a pioneer h/u you can tweak the sound settings like vocal, powerful, bass, and just more options to play with. ;)

#9 ·
Interesting let's say I want to use the default settings that come out of the Aftermarket HU, will I still hear good bass? I don't want to change my stock speakers. I like the 4 6x9s

#10 ·
Sounds good, I will most likely replace the headunit in the next 2 - 3 months. When would you guys say is the best time to buy a headunit? Towards the end of the year when they are trying to release new models?

#12 · (Edited)
I have a JVC in my car. I have an 04 w/o the JBL speakers, with a JVC KDR-820BT unit (their top single DIN headunit at the time)

Stock speakers and no amp or sub.

You will get a lot more bass, but with that, a lot more clear bass as well. Little distortion, and same goes with the mids and highs. Less distortion, with a lot more of it. Makes the system sound so much brighter and clearer vs the stock unit. It thumps pretty good for stock speakers, I can't complain. Also, the stock setting in my JVC called "Dynamic" is what I use on my car; didn't have to tweak a thing and it sounds great.

The only thing I would do is dynamat the door and shelf speakers if you upgrade the headunit, you will be thanking yourself later. It gets rid of any speaker vibration in the doors, making it sound even better.

My right front speaker thumps slightly from it moving around in the door, I'm gonna lay down dynamat around all 4 6x9's in the car and post my impressions, but from what I've heard already in friends cars, a little thing like dynamatting makes a HUGE difference.

#14 ·
If you want an even clearer and fuller sound quality then I would suggest you installing some sound proofing materials such as Dynamat, Hushmat or similar product, you can find these in pretty much any car audio shop. Having sound proofing materials will make your bass even deeper, the clarity will also increase, thus giving you a much "fuller" sound system. I speak from personal experience.If you're a DIY kinda guy then it would be even cheaper because all you have to do is the front doors and the rear deck.

#16 ·
You really don't need to do an entire care since you're not going all out like I did. So I think it shouldn't cost you more than ~$250 just to do the front doors and the rear deck, parts and labor included. Now if you want to do the entire car then it'd be about ~$1000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.