Toyota Nation Forum banner

2003 toyota camry p0442 odb code

23K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  leakyseals 
#1 · (Edited)
I recieved a test from Auto Zone and the P0442 error code came up for a "SMALL EVAP LEAK". I am worried about the cost. Do I replace the fuel filler tube $75.00, Charcoal Canister $250-$300, or hoses $25-40? I have replaced the gas cap with a new one. I dont know where to start. A few months ago while driving in the rain, the check engine light went off after I drove through a big puddle. Once the car dried out, the check engine light came back on. I am trying to pass emisions in Arizona for my new tags.

#3 ·
If you can get to the hoses, replace those first. I agree the chances are it is a hose connection or crack in the line. If you replace the cannister you will replace the hoses anyway, so start with the cheaperst part and work your way up.

#6 ·
What gas cap did you use? I have seen cheap replacements that don't seal properly.

Before you go replacing random parts maybe have it diagnosed by a shop with a smoke machine so you can actually see where the leak is coming from.

#7 ·
I found 2 hoses on the upper engine block. One that ran from the engine block to the manafold. The other was from the upper engine block to the EVAP system. Went to get the smog check done after I erased the code and guess what? The AUTOZONE gas cap that was only one month old failed. I ran down to the dealership that was just around the corner and bought a new one for $23.00. I passed and received my new tags....whew!

#9 ·
If you went through deep water at a high rate of speed, the water would have enough force to tear a vacuum/fuel system hose, loosen a connection, etc. Follow the lines from the tank to the engine, maybe you will find something awry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.