Toyota Nation Forum banner

Brake Problems...

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  RichieRich86 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2008 Toyota Camry SE and I noticed something strange when I brake. Its hard to explain but when I'm braking to a stop, midway the pedal feel changes like the the brakes stopped working. I quickly apply just a little more pressure which causes the car to stop abruptly. To make this situation weirder it only starts happening after I've been driving for a while. If the car sits for a while like when I'm at work it brakes normal at first. Any ideas?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#4 ·
It almost sounds as if the fluid is boiling.

I recommend you get it checked out and at least attempt a brake flush.

#5 ·
I just bought a 2008 Toyota Camry SE and I noticed something strange when I brake. Its hard to explain but when I'm braking to a stop, midway the pedal feel changes like the the brakes stopped working. I quickly apply just a little more pressure which causes the car to stop abruptly. To make this situation weirder it only starts happening after I've been driving for a while. If the car sits for a while like when I'm at work it brakes normal at first. Any ideas?

Have a look throgh your rims, are the pads new? If so perhaps they have been replaced without the rotors being machined.

Either way new pads need a short break in period. If symptom persisits try braking very hard repetitively with long durations of no brake application in between for rotor cool down. That will force the pads and rotors to seat.

#6 ·
The front were done before I bought the car so that might be the problem. I was thinking they used really cheap pads but I'll try it and see.

Side Note: I bought it from a GMC dealer and the oil level was right about the low mark. It was changed before I bought it so I was thinking I had a leak but after reading the manual, I think they only put in 5qts instead of 6.4qts...

#7 ·
Update: I took the car to the shop and the mechanic couldn't recreate the problem but he said it could be a intermediate hydraulic problem. He replaced the rear rotors and pads as well. So I've been doing a lot of research online and I narrowed it down to 3 possibilities.

1. Master Cylinder
2. Brake Booster
3. ABS.

I didn't think the 2008's had booster issues so I leaning towards the master cylinder. Also I'm not sure if this is related or normal but I'm hearing a noise from under the dash. I'll check it out later and see if i can pin point where it's coming from.

#10 ·
This s*** is getting on my nerves. My first thought were cheap pads(a lot of dust on front rims days after washing) because after it sits(cools off) it brakes normal and smooth but after that it gets worst and worst. I press the pedal and it's like nothing(lower) ..nothing(lower)...GRAB(like midway) and people be hide are like WTF! I have to carefully lower and time it right to stop normal.

I'm going to a Toyota dealer tomorrow or Monday for the oil line recall and have them check it out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.