Toyota Nation Forum banner

Hi, just bought a 2002 camry and the transmission started to slip? Help..

6K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  leakyseals 
#1 ·
Hi, I bought a 2002 camry last month. It has 180k on it, and the previous owner says he never had the trans fluid changed.

It started to slip, so I parked it and I had it towed to a trans shop. Of course, they immediately say I need a trans rebuild.

My house was close, so I drove it home without any issues.

What are the chances that a fluid change will correct this for a little while atleast?

#5 ·
You're the first that i have seen with this problem, or that has posted here. So I would just change the fluid and see what happens...if it keeps slipping I guess you have your answer.

Are you sure for a fact that it is the tranny? I had a hesitation and what I thought was a tranny prob, but it was the EGR valve (assuming you have a v6) Once I replaced it, the hesitation was gone.

#6 ·
hi eac, I have 5th gen camry.. I do my own transmission drain and refill.... I overfill lil bit, and it will drip little bit.. so I drain it back and put it less ( about 3.5 qt ).. now no more dripping.

I don't think you need new transmission. ( the shop want to make money). thats why they told you.

here is what you can do. Use a 10mm hex to remove the transmission drain plug. let it drain. then refill 3.5 qt toyota t-iv or mobil 3309 from transmission dip stick... Manual say it take 3.7 qt..

#8 ·
#10 ·
The first thing to do is to check the level and condition of the ATF.

If the transmission has never been serviced I'd drop the pan and change out the felt filter next. A few pan bolts are hard to get to for some. Besides T-IV ATF you can also use Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF, Walmart Supertech Mercon-V or fully synthetic Valvoline MaxLife. All are suitable for T-IV. But since you're having problems, I'd stick with dealer's dino T-IV for the time being to cut down on the variables.

If you need a tranny mechanic, I'd search for a local ATRA Auto Transmission Rebuilders Association member shop:
http://www.atra.com/shopfinder

Some are still duds but better than the typical corner garage.

For the 02 4-speed it uses the U-241 transmission and a filter kit is about $17-20+shipping on rockauto.com. Use the 5% discount code (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...084-rockauto-discount-code-6.html#post3892980).
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=478465

#12 ·
A fluid change usually does help, and for the cost of the fluid and your time it's well worth it. You can do a "flush" by draining and refilling several times over a month to change a majority of the old fluid out. Or if you are pretty mechanically inclined, you can do a DIY flush and get all fresh fluid at once. Search around the forums, there should be a DIY somewhere.

#13 ·
I hate to admit it but I had a 96 RAV4 since new and never changed the tranny fluid because the car ran so well for so many years. (dumbass) Well, it eventually started slipping at year 13. I changed the fluid and it helped for a short while. I then added some additional "anti-slip" additives that helped too but eventually the slip came back. I added some more additive and traded it in! :facepalm:

Personally, I don't advise buying a high mileage auto-trans car unless you have the budget for a rebuild/replacement.

#14 · (Edited)
I agree with the others calling for a T-IV fluid drain and fill immediately. Make that 2. One today, one in 2 weeks. After that once every other year. Easier than changing the oil. 4.1 qts on the drain. Its all I've ever done to the Camry in my signature. Don't bother with the filter, its just a fine screen. Never replaced mine or opened it up. Will probably need a new bolt washer, ask for one while you are there. 10mm hex driver is all you need. Don't tighten as much as an oil drain bolt. Get the feel for how tight by remember what it took to take it off. Before you drain and fill verify the current level.

If it still slips after 2 drain and fills report back, there are additives that may help. Doing nothing will only make it worse, take action fast.

If the transmission fluid hasn't been changed, would guess the coolant hasnt been changed. No disclosure on engine type, but if its the 2AZ-FE I4, coolant is a very, very big deal. Critical to keep the aluminum block cooled or risk headbolt failure. Get that drained and filled pronto. Another easy drain and fill from the hand tight drain at the radiator. 4.5 qts, Only use Toyota Red concentrate mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Don't substitute the Toyota Red coolant with anything else.

#15 ·
Hello. My problem is similar if not worse. I just bought the same but its automatic,4cyl & a LE. Bought it from auction (needed for room b/c of back problems). After starting up & driving the trans would hesitate (stall) & then jerk into gear and run smooth until coming to a complete stop/slowing down until picking up speed again.
At 1st the fluid & filter was replaced. No relief. The trans was replaced 2x-the last being a rebuilt one. The problem still exists. Can someone tell me what this could possibly be? Car definitely needed for medical reasons.

#16 ·
if the transmission was finally replaced, then i'd say have the computer scanned for fault codes. there is also the possibility that the torque converter is not operating correctly, that too is computer controlled.

just because a fault code (MIL) may not be flashing on your dash, does NOT mean you do not have any codes/faults right now.

#20 ·
I say flush the fluid. My mom owns a Chystler which started slipping in 04. Shop said she needed to replace the tranny. We flushed the fluid, put some additive in it, and it's been running fine for nearly 10 years now (flushed it once since then also). For the cost of flushing the fluid, go for it.

In fact, I had a slight slip in reverse in my own 03 Camry. I changed the 4qts in the pan with new oil, and it's been fine since. :hi:

#21 ·
Drain, replace filter and flush the remaining fluid by removing the discharge line from the trans to the radiator until fresh fluid comes out. Do this by having someone start and stop the engine while you add new fluid. Try to gage how much comes out as you add the same back as not to starve the trans. Once you get clean fluid coming out, save room to add a can of TransX to the new fluid. I have use this and it will help soften seals and bring some life back to the trans until you can get an overhaul.

#24 · (Edited)
I disagree with the shop, a transmission failure in your/our year is rare. Check this site and the internet for proof of that. Very few complaints. The tranny in my old 02 Camry is running perfect, I think a used tranny will be just fine. Look at the prices on eBay. You can get one cheap and take your chances. These rebuild shops want to take your money with a big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ bill. Just swap one out with an honest mechanic and see what happens.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Automatic-T...2CC%20l4%20GAS%20DOHC%20Naturally%20Aspirated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.