Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tranny supply line or return line does it matter?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  joserobl 
#1 ·
I know that the subject of flushing the tranny has been beaten to death here cause I spent a few hours last night reading quite a bit on it. For the most part though people tend to opt for just empting the pan and refill with fresh or they empty and refill again and again and again till it looks clean. Now I have read also where some have gone the route of empting the pan then refill with fresh then disconnecting the return line or supply line then attaching a clear hose to it then connecting a bucket to it and and turning on the engine flushing allthats also in the torque converter. I've done this method on one of my cars a 05 Vibe after seeing a youtube video on how to do it and it worked out good. But in the video the guy says to use the supply line and I've read where others say use the return line and have EB brake on and put it in drive in order to flush the converter. I've read on the hyundai you have to have it in neutral. Can anyone clear this up does it matter if it's the supply line or the return line or whether it's in drive or neutral? Here is the youtube video

#2 ·
if it helps, I have 02 camry... what I did was disconnect the trans cooler line from the left (looking at the car) of the radiator, put it into a bucket. Started the motor and let it idle in spurts of 5 to 6 seconds like 3 times. (I had driven about 45 mins ago so trans fluid was warm to hot).

Then I drain out from the drain plug. totally got about 6+ quarts out.

#4 ·
I know that the subject of flushing the tranny has been beaten to death here cause I spent a few hours last night reading quite a bit on it. For the most part though people tend to opt for just empting the pan and refill with fresh or they empty and refill again and again and again till it looks clean. Now I have read also where some have gone the route of empting the pan then refill with fresh then disconnecting the return line or supply line then attaching a clear hose to it then connecting a bucket to it and and turning on the engine flushing allthats also in the torque converter. I've done this method on one of my cars a 05 Vibe after seeing a youtube video on how to do it and it worked out good. But in the video the guy says to use the supply line and I've read where others say use the return line and have EB brake on and put it in drive in order to flush the converter. I've read on the hyundai you have to have it in neutral. Can anyone clear this up does it matter if it's the supply line or the return line or whether it's in drive or neutral? Here is the youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdPAadc9fY
I don't think it makes any difference if the AT is in neutral,park or drive. I drained and filled my AT about five times and the fluid looked like new. I think you can get 90+ % using this method. Regards

#5 ·
If making the effort to flush the ATF via the cooler line method, then you want to flush the ATF cooler too. Disconnect the return line so that the trans can push fresh ATF thru that ATF cooler.

The shifter position is irrevelant. Don't get run over and keep it in park. I've been known to exercise the shifter's locations during cooler line flushes. Too many diy'ers try to earn their Darwin Awards this way. Use some common sense.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. If I understand this right, if I flush threw the supply line feeding the cooler then the cooler won't get flushed unless of course I push some air threw the line like in the video. And if I flush using the return line I not only flush the torque converter but also the cooler. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.