Toyota Nation Forum banner

2.5 K&N Troubleshoot

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  aagitch 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just order my K&n intake (69-8617TTK) and tried to install it. On the manual it says to attach the EVAP solenoid to the bracket installed onto the K&N intake tube and secure with the factory screw. This is step 24 on the instructions. Here is the link - http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/69-8617_inst.pdf. As the picture is not clear and I am unsure of what to do, can someone who installed the same intake for their 2.5 show pics on the intake with EvAP attached?

Fyi, I was not able to complete step 15 as the screw was stripped.....FML! :headbang:

My concerns is the fact that the EVAP is currently hanging with just it plugged in. I can't mount it as directed. Also the bottom gray tube is not connected to any hose. Is this normal.?????

Any pictures and directions would help greatly!

Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I had that same problem, so I tried everything and finally got it out. It was glued in there, it was weird how it was screwed in there. So I just replaced it with a different bolt with a hex shape. I cut into the screw with a dremmel and used a flat head. The bottom of that where the gray is suppose to plug into a hose. But I have a 2.4L

#3 ·
Hey! thanks for the quick response!

Hmm that weird how they secure the screw so tight. I'll try again to remove it. If not, I'll use the dremmel and do the same. Still unsure of how it mounts to the intake....

I tried looking all over to see if there is a hose that was not connected but could not find any. i'm really wondering if I installed it completely wrong. It looks wierd that the gray section is not connected and the whole EVAP is not mounted. Can someone with a 2.5 confirm this. Pictures would really help!

#10 ·
Alright, so I went to 2 Toyota after work today and see if they were able to help me. Neither of them did.....

So here is some pictures of the intake and notice how the evap has a tube that is not connected to any hose. I took out the heat shield just so I reach around and see if there was anything unhook...

This long hose is hooked up to a tube in the back of the intake.

This hose from K&N is hooked up to the engine.

Now the problem begins here. This picture is the factory evap solenoid taken directly from the factory intake. Notice how the bottom is hooked up to a hose but the one in the middle pointing right has nothing.....where is the hose for this?

Another view of it.

And because of that, my engine light and traction light is on. The code is the infamous P0441 - EVAP Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow. When I start the car, the engine is lit then when I start driving within 2-3 feet, the traction light comes on. I tried unplugging the battery and leaving it out for 45 minutes and plugged it back in. Same results.

Can someone show me some detailed pictures of the hoses when where it is coming from?? I know for sure that it has to be hooked up and it is the reason for the lights coming on.

Btw, is it safe to be driving with these lights on? I have to go out of state to work on Friday for a week and will be driving about 100 miles to get there. I have only driven the car in stop and go traffic in the mornings....

#12 ·
Really??? That doesn't seem right to me. I have tried everything so far: capping off the tube on the evap. Same results - The car starts but the light still comes on. I even tried to swtich the hose from the back end to the one on the evap and block the tube sticking at the end of the intake. It starts but then there's not enough air flow and shuts down within a minute.

Now the engine lights stays on. When I drive forward, probably 3-4 feet, the traction light comes on after. I unplugged it to reset and same results. I know for sure its the evap because of the code P0441 and the fact that it is open right now.......:wtf:

#14 ·
I'm just saying what I did on mine, Can't tell either if its right or not, but the car runs good...sounds good and no warning lights...by the way my friend before taking off the OEM intake, did you unplugged the neg of your battery, it's an SOP for any modification that something to do with electrical...direct or indirect..

#16 ·
Finally, i am done with my K&N. I asked a worker, he used tape for that screw

#18 ·
Your computer probably needs the codes/lights reset. Some of the 2.5's don't have a hose that some of the others do, something to do with emission requirements with certain states.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.