Toyota Nation Forum banner

What to look for?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  jblackburn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

We're in the market for a new used car. This will be my girlfriends car for 3-5 years until she can buy a new car of her liking.

We're comparing the 2004-2006 Camrys (LE, SE, XLE - doesn't matter) and 2005-2007 Accords. 4 cylinder models ONLY. I hate the 2007+ Camrys and 2008+ Accords, so we won't even bother looking at those. The 2012 is really nice, but just too expensive for us right now.

She currently has a 2002 V6 LE that has been a fantastic car for the past 10 years it's been in her family. It's also a total pig on gas, and she has decided to give it to her younger brother who just totaled his car in a rain storm when he was cut off by another driver.

My parents have owned a 2003 MDX and a 2007 Accord and both have been entirely trouble-free the entire times they've owned the cars.

I know a few of the things to look at with the Camry:
-Wheel balance
-Bouncy suspension ('02 needed new rear shocks at 100K)
-Jerky idle (problem with the electronic throttle body on the '02).
-Maintenance records - last transmission fluid change, etc.

I'm glad that the 4 cylinder models DO NOT have a timing belt to change, as that's a pain. Any other things that are common issues that I need to look out for? We're trying to find one with under 100,000 miles on it, and there are a few on my radar for this weekend to check out.

I'm fairly good at working on cars, so I will do any maintenance that it needs, but I'd like to get one that will be as trouble-free as possible for as long as possible - which is why we're limiting our search to Hondas and Toyotas.

Thanks for any and all help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Look at the Cv joint boots to make sure they are not torn and throwing grease. Make sure there are not leaks. Look for any obvious bady damage that would impact the worthiness of the frame. Look for VIN numbers on doors, drunk and hood to verify they haven't been replaced.

Reactions: Donald E. George
#3 ·
And be sure the Warranty Maintenance Guide is with the car and filled out. Try to contact the previous owner. There is a lot of hanky panky goes on in the previously owned car market. Same for the new car market.Vehicles that have been taken care of show it. You should see a list of other things that have been done,like PCV valve,radiator cap and hoses, v belt replacement, oil ,air and cabin filter replacement etc etc. And don't forget coolant replacement.

#4 ·
Look under the car for wetness around the oil pan, trans. Open the hood and look behind the front bumper at the frame to make sure there isn't any frame damage. Pull the dipstick and check the oil, people are known to throw in thicker oil to hide engine knocks which turn up after your first oil change. And most importantly, show me the CARFAX. LOL.

#5 · (Edited)
:my2cents:

Without a doubt have the dealer (or private party) supply you with a current Carfax. Obviously look to see if the car has been in any documented accidents, but also how many times it has been brought in to the dealer for problems and what they were.

I usually look for cars with factory warranties remaining, or those that have the ability to have one added on. If the car is under warranty you don't need to stress out as much about the little things.

When I look at a car I look very closely for any signs of bodywork. You'd be surprised how often the car has been in a wreck that wasn't reported. If there is anyone body or paint work at all I pass. I look to see that the wear on the car is consistent with the mileage - i.e: interior wear, gas/brake pedal wear, etc.

Look for at the tire wear (fairly high ticket item), try to take a look at the break pad wear, ask if the timing belt/chain/water pump have been replaced (if the milage warrants it), and all other wear items.

Thats really it. If you can get a car that is under warranty most (if not all) of the major items will be covered.

Good luck!

#6 · (Edited)
On these Camrys the 2 major issues are water pump failures (common on all 2AZFE) showing up as either a very small leak or grinding. Also there are a few people who have stripped head bolt issue on these early 2AZFE engines. I wouldnt say its common but something to be aware of.

Short of that almost nothing goes wrong with them. I would recommend against getting a white Camry as they fade to look like a 20 year old car after just a few years (something about no clear coat with white paint).

If you can go with an 05-06 XLE. Rear disc brakes, fog lights, 16" wheels, and more options right off the bat. If not an XLE an SE for sure.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice everyone.

After a lot of shopping around, we ended up going with the 2012 Camry SE 4 cyl. Fantastic car, and doesn't really remind me of a Camry to drive at all. It rides well on the road and can actually go around corners without rolling like a boat :D

I was actually between buying one myself earlier this year I liked it so much, but I ended up with a Chevy Cruze. Now I get to have the best of both!

Here it is...more pictures later!

#9 ·
Lower the mileage the better, will be basically the same price.
Check:
Carproof for accidents/liens/mileage follows proper routine on reports thereof.
Tires for alignment wear.
Instrument cluster replacement tag on drivers door sil, will state old mileage when replaced.
Check for overspray in wheelwells/exhaust/weatherstrip, which would be indicative of bodywork.
Was car a daily rental?
Check wear on interior of car to match mileage(Seats, steering wheel,brake/gas pedals).
Check all fluid conditions(Oil clean, auto. transmission pink or reddish(If dark brown trans. may not have much life left).
On road test should run smooth and shift well, acceleration should be hick-up free.
Does car pull, steering wheel centered? Pull during braking? E-brake functioning?
Check all features: P-windoes/locks/wipers/lights/radio/rear defrost/heating a/c, etc.

Good luck

Cheers

#10 · (Edited)
The 2012 is really nice, but just too expensive for us right now.
After a lot of shopping around, we ended up going with the 2012 Camry SE 4 cyl. Fantastic car, and doesn't really remind me of a Camry to drive at all. It rides well on the road and can actually go around corners without rolling like a boat :D
So, what happened in a week that changed your mind:
  1. A really great year end deal?
  2. A low finance rate?
  3. A Cost/Benefit Analysis?

Charles

#11 ·
So, what happened in a week that changed your mind. A really great year end deal? A low finance rate? Cost/Benefit Analysis?

Charles
A good year-end deal, college grad discount, low finance rate, and the insurance check from the wrecked Honda all came into play. She's paying almost $50 less per month (with a $5000 down payment) on her Camry than I am on my Cruze - which is a smaller, less expensive car!

In looking at used cars, they were all about $13000-14000 for a 5-6 year old car for an Accord/Camry. It just makes more sense to buy *new* and keep the thing 10 years!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.