Toyota Nation Forum banner

Do I need to flush the cooling system?

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  leakyseals 
#1 ·
2008 Camry SE V6

Well the other night I was driving around(bored) on the freeway and I ended up racing someone(100+mph). Anyway the next morning I checked the antifreeze and it was all the way at the bottom so I put in regular water from the sink to hold me. I was told after to only use distilled water so do I have to flush the system now or can I wait? I don't want it to start rusting but I only put in enough to fill the overflow bottle.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#2 ·
Nothing is going to rust because you added tap water instead of distilled. Someone had to be pulling your leg there. But what tap water does have is the mineral content that, given enough and time, will crud up things in the cooling system. If you added just ounces of tap water I wouldn't worry about it. Learn a lesson though. Racing on the freeway might result in never needing to worry about changing the coolant.

Reactions: Donald E. George
#7 ·
You should never need to flush coolant or use chemicals.
Tap water is no big deal.

Since your vehicle is 5 years old, and if you've never changed the coolant, you're due for a block&radiator drain/refill. And, you can also drain/refill that recovery bottle.
To replace coolant, is it just drain all the coolant, and then refill it?
Is there anything i should be careful if i DIY?
Like, some air trap in middle of somthing causes mal-function like brake system? Thanks.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I only had the car for 2 weeks so far so I'm guessing that's the original coolant in there. I'll change it before it starts getting really cold. Odd thing is when I got the car coolant level was in the middle then a couple of days later it was 1/4 then later as stated in my first post...empty. I didn't see any spots in the driveway so idk. I'll check it tomorrow and see where it's at now.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#9 · (Edited)
Water pump ????

Thanks for the replies. I only had the car for 2 weeks so far so I'm guessing that's the original coolant in there. I'll change it before it starts getting really cold. Odd thing is when I got the car coolant level was in the middle then a couple of days later it was 1/4 then later as stated in my first post...empty. I didn't see any spots in the driveway so idk. I'll check it tomorrow and see where it's at now.
How many miles on it? Driving 100 mph does not cause loss of coolant. These engines generally use almost zero coolant (as well as zero oil between changes). Look for possible water pump leak .... look for pink/white dried out crusty stuff around the water pump. The 07-09 I4's are notorious for bad water pumps but it can happen occasionally on a V6.

Can someone help him (and me) with pictures? My "maint reqd" light just came on solid yesterday so I'll be taking it to dealer soon. As I do before each oil change, I just went out in the garage and checked the fluid in my 09V6 and sure enough, with cold engine, it's sitting right above the "L" (low mark) after 46K miles and 53 months. When the car was new, it was right in the middle between E & F (never on full when cold). Thus ..... since new ......... it's probaly used all of one cup of fluid since new. Thank goodness my dealer lets you watch when they service your car. I am going to make certain they add only Toyota long life coolant before I make the 3,000 mile round trip I am planning around labor day.

According to owner's manual (page 325 of mine):

Toyota Super Long Life Coolant is a mixture of 50% coolant and 50% deionized water.

Use high qaulity ..... non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrate, and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology.

If the coolant level drops within a short period of time, visully check the radiator hoses, engine coolant filler cap, radiator cap, drain, and water pump. If you cannot find a leak have your Toyota dealer test the cap and check for leaks in the cooling system.

#6 ·
Topping off with tap wont hurt it, but distilled is desirable because the minerals are removed. Minerals are what clogs the system over time with repeated use. Your not doing that so your fine. What you did is better than an overheat. As others have said, a simple drain and fill will straighten things out.

I'm an advocate of Toyota coolant. I think it may be the best coolant on the market. However I have read good things about the Zerex Asian coolant if you can find it. Toyotas use OAT. But Zerex Asian HOAT is silicate and 2-EHA free. So its not clear what makes it a HOAT. That being said, Zerex Asian is closer to Toyota Red LLC concentrate than it is the expensive pink SLLC already mixed. Once Toyota Red LLC is diluted 50/50, the cost is cut in half making it roughly the same price as anything else. I prefer the Toyota coolant, so it works for me. Personal preference I guess.

#8 · (Edited)
Also, you run the Pink Super Long Life Coolant. More expensive but good for 60-70k (conservative). If you go with an alternate or Toyota Red Long life coolant, your looking at 30-40k drains (conservative). Something to consider when your looking at cost. Its cheaper but you have to replace it more often. So in the long run, the costs even out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.