Toyota Nation Forum banner

2009 Camry! Does it need dealers recommended services?

967 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Donald E. George 
#1 ·
Im at the dealership now getting a tire alignment, rotation, and oil change. I try to align the tires once a year. While I'm waiting they recommend I get a brake fluid flush because my pedal is soft and the fluid is dirty. They also recommended a fuel treatment because the car idles rough. I've only noticed a rough idle when the A/C is running, otherwise it sits at about 6/700 rpms.

I bought the car used from a different Toyota dealer. I had to have the rotors and brakes replaced because they were so warped and worn from sitting on the lot. So the brake flush doesn't bother me too much, but do I need it? $125 for a brake flush is a bit much for me now, and $150 for a fuel treatment is too expensive right now. Would a bottle of redline (which I've used in the past and have had recommended to me by a mechanic close to the family) be sufficient? The car has about 47k on it.

#2 ·
Any fuel treatment additives will work. I was told that its best to get your brake line flushed when brakes and rotors are replaced. Like all dealerships, they are known as stealerships. They are a rip off when it comes to services and are overpriced. You said that you have a mechanic that is close to the family. Why not have him do the work?

Oil change and tire rotation can be done by yourself if you have the time.

#3 ·
Hey thanks for the feedback. The mechanic lives about 1000 miles from here, so it would be difficult for him to do the work.

I know oil changes and tire rotations are quick and easy, but I don't have time nor the space to do it.

I will probably get the brake fluid flushed when I have the $$ to do so. I bought some Redline complete fuel cleaner and filled up my tank. We'll see what happens!

#4 ·
Brake fluid is hygroscopic so it needs to be replaced maybe every 2 years. I installed Russell speed bleeders on my 04 so my war department doesn't have to help me bleed the brakes. They work great. I don't like to get under the car to open up the bleeders so I jack the car up and take each wheel off. More work but much easier to get to each brake assembly. Tried the Mighty Vac a few times but it is a pain in the hindside too. Use a quality DOT 3/4 brake fluid like Valvoline. Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.