Toyota Nation Forum banner

Gen 6 retrofit

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  wolf92 
#1 ·
I have decided that I want to do a headlight retrofit after seeing the difference between pnp hids and retrofitted ones. Currently I have all the parts that I need to do it but after looking around, I have not been able to find a DIY guide. I have seen other peoples threads with pics so I have an idea on what what to do. For those of you who retrofitted yours, would you be able to give me a step by step or walk through on it?

#2 ·
I don't know which projector you are using, but here are basic steps:
1) Open your headlights using the oven or heat gun.
2) Take old projectors off and install new ones. This step takes most of the time because you may need to make custom brackets to mount new projectors, ensure the correct rotation and level.
3) Power your light to see how it looks.
4) Put the headlight's cover back using the oven and sealant. You may need extra sealant to prevent moisture getting in.

#6 · (Edited)
+1.
if you want really nice retro, take steel sheet and make new curved shields.
you also can lower the shield to make it brighter.
you also can move projectors 2-3mm forward to close gap between shrouds and for more aggressive look- lens sticking out more and looks bigger.

#3 ·
The projectors that I have are from a mdx. I got them from Blackcam09. From what I read up those mdx projectors should drop right in. I also picked up a couple other things from the retrofit source like the sealant glue, pair of tsx-r lenses and amp to d2s Adaptors

#4 · (Edited)
You will need to dremel a slight notch out of the brackets of the MDX's. You will also need some spacers for the lens because the MDX's lens are 2.6 while the TSX-R's are 2.5. You can just make some out of cardboard if Black didn't send ya any.

Here is a picture of the MDX bracket on the left with the bottom notched out with a dremel, this is the wrong year bracket btw I had to send these back and get the right ones from TRS but still gotta dremel it out, and the OEM one on the right.

#7 ·
alright so far I dremeled the plate and sanded it down a bit. It looks pretty good now. As for the tsx lenses, I simply traced cardboard and cut a small ring so it would prop up against the notches on the side. It looks ready to be put in tomorrow, but I did notice something. This may seem like a dumb question but how would I hook up the D2s bulbs to this. There doesn't seem to be anything to hold the bulb in like the current H11's.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd241/LNGasMan/IMG_1170-1.jpg

this is the best picture I could find that would describe this. My projector only came with the part up too the hooks. I don't have that other piece that would actually hold the d2s light in. Any ideas on what to do?

#8 ·
The 2 metal things on the sides (10 and 2 clock position) are used to hold the bulb. You may mess up something.

#10 ·
There doesn't seem to be anything to hold the bulb in like the current H11's.
you should have V-shaped springs on your projectors. without them light bulb wont stay in place.
if you;ll try to substitute springs with something make sure it is stiff enough to hold bulbs and be careful with projectors, they are pretty fragile.

#15 ·
Just an update, I have finished the headlights. It took roughly 5 hours. Unfortunately I won't be able to take a pic until Monday night. I used silicon sealant to seal up the headlight. It takes roughly
48 hours for the sealant to cure so I decided to leave my car at my friends shop till Monday.

#16 ·
You'll love the output, I know I do. 48 hour cure time... eh... I left mine overnight and it was fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.