Toyota Nation Forum banner

Camry SE rear console AC vent conversion, PLEASE HELP!

22K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Preston70 
#1 ·
Ok, I have gone over thread after thread and I still have not answered my question. Can someone please let me know if they have used the XLE rear console AC vents and duct work on an 2009 Camry SE, and it works? I have a 2 year old son and I want to convert the useless OEM panel to functioning rear console AC vents. If you can provide me with part numbers I will do the write up?

Thanks,

CPS

#2 ·
There are parts that must be changed under the dash to the HVAC area, ahead of the shifter to mate up with the duct you want installed.

Were you aware of the floor duct under the driver and passenger seat?
Just set the controls to floor and dash vents, then raise the fan speed to make the air flow faster. I will help to cool and heat the back seat area in the winter better, too.

#4 ·
Luna, thanks for the info. I was wondering if anyone has done this conversion, and if so, what part numbers are needed to pull it off. I can get into the dash no problem, I just want to know for sure that if I purchase the OEM parts, that I will be able to bolt all this up with no customizing. I'm not to worried about the cost of this project, I just want it to be LIKE original.

Thank,
CPS

#6 ·
I was planning to do a conversion as well back in the day. Problem is that no XLE or Hybrid rear A/C panels came in black.

I planned to run some small flexible a/c duct piping to the rear from auto store or home depot. Doesn't really seem too hard to pull this off.

But I gave my Camry to the wife so I no longer had the desire to mess with it. Best of luck and let us know how it comes out!

#10 ·
For whatever it is worth, the amount of air flow you are going to get out of the rear vent on an xle is just nothing to write home about and far less than what is coming out at the feet already. The job is really pretty easy in the big schem of things. Just a piece of duct to buy and the rear panel. Yes, you will have to paint it. Removing the center console will take some time, and the duct has to be connected to the base of the air box. All this can be done. But at the end of the day, is it worth the time, money, and labor?? Not really.

#11 ·
For whatever it is worth, the amount of air flow you are going to get out of the rear vent on an xle is just nothing to write home about and far less than what is coming out at the feet already. The job is really pretty easy in the big schem of things. Just a piece of duct to buy and the rear panel. Yes, you will have to paint it. Removing the center console will take some time, and the duct has to be connected to the base of the air box. All this can be done. But at the end of the day, is it worth the time, money, and labor?? Not really.
Have you done this/looked at where it mounts upfront? I've been looking at doing this, but havent taken the console apart to see where that center tube ties in. Even if it's not a lot of air flow, even just a little air to circulate for the rear passangers would be worth it to me. The air from the vents under the front seats just get sucked up by the feet and the carpet/seat so those are hardly noticable.

#13 ·
Another thing to consider is, do the automatic climate control box and the regular a/c box have the extra mounting needed for the rear a/c vents???

Which one do you have vs which one are the ones that come with the rear a/c.

Not sure as I have an le with basic a/c and no rear vent. :dunno:

#14 ·
No, I have not done this modification. I wonder that anyone has done this. In any event the mixer box has a plate/cover attached that is removed to allow access for a rear duct. Before you spend any money on this, find or borrow an xle and sit in the back while the air is turned to high speed and experience the air flow.

#18 ·
Damn, hate to raise thos from the dead lol. But I have an LE and want to put the rear A/C duct. I actually found an XLE piece from the junk yard for like 20 bucks and took it, but they didnt have the vent that goes from the center middle underneath all the way to the back. So I was wondering will the Item Number 12 Luna posted, will that be enough or do I need something longer that connects the A/C vent from behind the Radio Player . Will Item 12 be long enough? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.