Toyota Nation Forum banner

Help with Toyota Camry LE 2009

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  hardtopte72 
#1 ·
Hi, I am trying to help a coworker out. He has a problem with his Camry and took it in to the dealership, but they quoted him something that he was not comfortable paying. His email to me described the problems as follows:

Thank you so much for the info. I will ask estimate from these mechanics and let you know how that goes. My guess is that they won't ask too much ($750.00) like Toyota showroom guys.
The problem of my car according to the Toyota dealership diagnosing is as follows;
1. Replacement of both rear calipers
2. Replacement of rear brake rotor turning (my car is Toyota Camry LE 2009)

Does 750$ sound fair to fix said problems? I just told him I would attempt to post on a site and see what type of answers I get.

:thanks: in advance , y'all

#2 ·
new rotors - $42X2..$84
Calipers- $77 X2...$144
brake fluid- $20-$30
Parts- $250
labor- $200
Total- $450 +tax

Personally, I would tell your friend (or you) to ask around and find a independent mechanic. Also, most place will try to over charge on labor and Toyota (and other dealerships) is known for boosting labor times and rounding up on how long it takes to complete a job. I have seen this first hand :( Good luck. Remember it is always not a bad idea to shop around for prices.

#7 ·
The total job is a DIY in the driveway on a pretty day. The parts can be bought at local automotive parts retailers or online. If you have the tools and (the job doesn't require that many tools) the mechanical ability or pay a friend that does have the ability. Step by step instructions for this DIY job can easily be found on the internet.

#8 ·
Just remember that the caliper and rotor prices from the dealer are for OEM parts which are universally more expensive. Remanufactured calipers are always going to be cheaper and come with a small amount of failure risk not found in buying a new part.

I have worked in several shops and the dealership pricing was competitive compared to any aftermarket shop, except OEM parts and fluids were used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.