Toyota Nation Forum banner

tensioner replacement

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  hardtopte72 
#1 ·
2007 camry v6

hello fellow TN members

i have a few questions regarding tensioner replacement. i wanted to know whats normal cost for that job?

i am experiencing a "cricket" noise with one of the pulleys.
i had the belt replaced but problem is still there. toyota is recommending to replace the tensioner assembly quoted for 1200. is that a bit high? low?

i have reviewed pervious post with related problems but my "cricket" is on when it has a load on or not... with a/c on or off..

does anyone have the online for 2007 manuals? the online link under the stickys does not work, it dispalys a message "site has been hacked".

any info, advice, pass experiences would greatly be appreciated
thank you

#2 ·
That's why I replaced all the idler pulleys and the tensioner when I had the timing belt, water pump, cam seals and crankshaft seal replaced. I wanted any wear parts replaced with new parts while working in that area.

#3 ·
2007 has a completely different engine.

I am not 100% sure but I remember the engine having to be pulled to replace the tensioner, however that was before they came out with the new tool for replacing the water pump.

If you do end up pulling the engine it would be a good time to replace the VVT-I rubber hose to a metal line and replace the water pump since the labor will overlap.

#6 ·
My buddies that still work at the dealer have told me about it. Its basically a transaxle support designed for the 2GRFE that allows the engine to be tilted to work on the front of the engine without pulling the entire engine out. This is especially important from Camry and Rav4 as they have the smallest engine bays.

Reactions: gdanaher
#5 ·
I had reported the "chirping sound" problem maybe a couple of months ago. Started fixing it with replacing the 94K mile serpentine belt. Then had to replace the tensioner assembly when the new belt alone did not do it. The inside spring of the unit allegedly had weakened. The tensioner belt job ran 2 hrs labor plus $125 parts-total $300. All this did not elimintate the chirp which still comes and goes. Tech told us it could be any of the other 4 pulleys like idler, A/C, water pump etc. So I keep listening for it and as long as it is a on/off low chirp I am going to keep driving and hope for the best. So far it has cost close to $450. Aggrevating as hell!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.