Toyota Nation Forum banner

CD player won't work

28K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Fulaman 
#1 ·
It just keeps on trying to read but doesn't do anything more. It had the same problem like 2 months back and I used a CD cleaner (with brush on a CD) and it worked fine and now it won't even read that disk. It's with navigation system. I went to a few car electronics shop around here and they don't do cleaning and servicing stuff. What are my options? Is there any place where I can send it and they fix it? Thanks so much.

#2 ·
Find one in the junk yard and swap it out, or buy a new one from the dealer, or live with it. I haven't had a cd playing in my car since it was new and I wanted to see if it worked. That was about 6 years ago. The subject has come up before and someone found a company that did repair these things, so google it and see if you can find some help.

#6 ·
Here's how I cleaned mine...I got this from a Wii forum but it works..
1. Take an old CD and make a cardboard handle for it and tape it to the CD so it looks something like a ping pong paddle.
2. Take a small gauze pad...or you can use a pad from a band-aid, and tape it to the far edge of the CD. Tape all four edges so it won't get torn off.
3. Put a small amount of rubbing alcohol on the pad.
4. Insert the CD, gauze pad up, into the CD slot. Make sure the ignition is off. Work the CD in and out with the handle so that the gauze pad will make contact with the player head.
5. When you pull it out, you should see some dirt on the pad.

This may do the trick.

#8 · (Edited)
If it is not caused by a dirty player, try unplugging the battery on the car for about 10 minutes.

In my mom's 2005 Avalon her 6 disc JBL would not eject the CDs and when you tried to play one it would just sit there trying to read the disc. It would let you select the disc and change tracks, but it would never actually be able to read the disc. ( You could hear it swapping discs and spinning them up) After having the car battery unplugged for a while it started working again.

Just be aware that you will lose all of your radio presets. I do not know if it will also erase any settings or addresses you have saved in the navigation.

#10 ·
adding ipod connection to your car is extremly easy.
Basically you CD button will toggle between cd and AUX.
I have not personally used my cd player for years.. because i got 3.5 mm input and ipod..
or add bluetooth.

to fix cd player.

1. Cd lens need to be cleaned up.
open it up and clean it.

2. lens need to be aligned.. can't find exact article. but you can adjust the lens by with adjusting the adjusting gear with screw driver.

AVS from mught be bettern for this.. because they always trying to fix high end cd player that does not read cd well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.