Toyota Nation Forum banner

Ignition key inoperative, 2007 SE

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  VApearly 
#1 ·
A few days ago my wife called me to say her car wouldn't start. The ignition key would not turn to the start position. In fact it wouldn't turn at all. I went to help her and she had started the car before I got to it.
My question is: are there electronics that could cause that? It has started fine since. Are there lockouts of some kind on these cars. My wife gets very upset if her car won't start. I don't want to have to buy her an new one as this car only has 48,000 miles on it.
VApearly

#5 · (Edited)
I don't know whether this might be related but if the steering wheel is turned after the key is removed it may become immoveable it may be necessary when you restart the car to move the steering wheel to release the tension on it while, at the same time, turn the ignition key on. Unless you do that, the key won't turn and forcing it will either bend it or break it off in the lock. To see what I mean, try turning the steering wheel after you take the key out and you'll lock it up. I had to show my wife how to work through that very thing. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.