Toyota Nation Forum banner

Camrys that burn oil when they are first started up

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Impala 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a good used 1992 - 2005? Camry because they would be in my price range. I have seen a 2002 and 03 4 cylinder that blows some blue-white smoke when first started. The 03 with 197K miles is owned by an individual and he says that it doesn't use enough oil in between oil changes so he doesn't worry about it. He says the T. dealer said it wasn't valve guide seals but something else. He didn't remember what. The 02 with 134K miles does the same thing and of course the salesman said it's easy to change the v g seals. Of course he described it like doing an old in line Chevy 6 cylinder. Those were easy but I suspect these aren't quite the same. Also my mother in law has a 1996 4 cylinder that has always done the same thing since she got it with 96K miles. As far as I know it doesn't use significant oil in between oil changes.

My question is, should I be concerned about buying a Camry that does this? Or should I stay away from those and look for those that don't smoke. Also, is this a common Camry problem?

I have a 1992 Camry with a worn out body [because of 2 teenagers first car] 4 cylinder with 205K that has never done that and a daughter 's 94 6 cylinder that hasn't smoked. I'm sold on Camrys because they seem to be mechanically superior but the plastic knobs and parts break. But they will still go down the road.

Thanks, Wayne

See less See more
#3 ·
No blue smoke on my Camry yet.

Your right about the valve seals(not guides usually) being the culprit. When engines aren't running over a short duration of time the worn valve seals allow oil to seep down the valve stem and it is that tiny amount of oil that shows as blue out the pipe.

If you find a car that doesn't blow blue on start up by all means buy. If you like a car that does your probably allright, just so long as it stops soon after. I've had a few gm's with the same problem.

A good way to test for excessive valve seal leakage is to down gear the car wrather abruptly. With throttle plate closed and intake vacuume going high if there's a major leak it will show itself as blue smoke out the pipe.

Good luck

#4 · (Edited)
my wife's 2000 4 cyl camry sometimes does that too.
140k.
the only cure is to replace valve guide seals or switch to thicker oil.
I've seen poorly maintained cars that does not smoke and well maintained cars that does.

#5 · (Edited)
My 02 I4 has been doing that for 90k. High mileage oil helps but doesnt stop it. Doesn't burn as much around town, but on the highway consumption doubles. Assume its valve seals. I havent bothered with them for a few reasons. One, the consumptions not that bad. Secondly, the 02-04 years have an issue with stripped headbolts, so replacing the seals should be done without removing the head. I need a shop with compressed air, etc. Thirdly, its old, I may just run it into the ground like this. Other than the seals the engine is plenty sturdy. Shaky idle, but all the I4's do that.

PS. IMO your 90's era Camry's are mechanically superior to the 00-09's. Toyota has turned things around recently (I think, its too early to tell)

#6 ·
Lack of maintenance is usually a likely cause. If the records are there, then lack of quality fluids is another cause. Throw in an aggressive driving style and fluid chosen/maintenance interval is irrelevant.

If you're looking at any 2.4L Camry, better research the stripped head bolt issue. If that issue doesn't scare you, then enjoy your vehicle.

I would usually recommend avoiding any vehicle with already known problems which could cascade into all the other previous owner caused abused/neglect issues in the vehicle that are hiding. I've seen fudged maintenance records at used car lots & rolled back odometers, and live in a state that no-one drives with any sense of courtesy. Its a race out here to see who can crash 1st.

My recommendation is to keep looking for that non-smoker, with maintenance history, and go for a drive with the owner, if possible, to see how they drive. Also consider going the distance as good clean used cars are hard to find so look at bordering states, ebay, autotrader.....

If budget is an issue, then that little puff of smoke is what you get and can be lived with Sometimes you can mask it with a little thicker oil, or a high mileage oil.

#7 ·
What information that's been given is pretty much as I thought. Like I said, my mother in law's 96 has always done it since she bought it and it isn't any worse. Unless I get a super deal on one that does smoke I think I will keep looking for one that doesn't. I'll have to know it sat for a while though.

I really appreciate the input. I've been on here in the past and this site has saved me some money on repairs. Like when my Camry wouldn't start and it was the coil. It did that twice.

Thanks, Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.