Toyota Nation Forum banner

One of HID bulbs sometimes won't turn on --- HELP

30K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Joeluresti91 
#1 ·
OK, few months ago, I bought a conversion kit from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270890515433&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

I also installed the relay harness thingy as well:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/13051354780...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Everything worked out fine for about two weeks, and then problem started.

The bulb on driver's side, sometimes would not turn on. It's like it doesn't have enough power to initiate it. I tried with and without the relay harness, same result.
If I turn it off and then wait for a few seconds, turn the switch, sometimes it would turn on, sometimes it wouldn't. And this happens to only the driver side and it drives me crazy.

So I guess the ballast went stupid, so i exchanged a new one. Same thing. I tried to switch the bulbs, no better result.

But here is the strange thing, i popped the hood, have someone turn on/off the light too see what's happening. When the light (driver's side) turn on, everything seemed normal.
But when it does not, it makes this little buzzing sound for like 1/3 of a second, and a little flash at the transparent wire from the ballast to the bulb.

Can some one help me out with this problem ? I mean one bulb is probably brighter than both OEM bulbs, but this is just so annoying...

See less See more
#2 ·
Could be the relay harness, doesn't exactly look of the highest quality. Take it off and see what happens then.

Reactions: cb91710
#6 · (Edited)
It's not getting enough power at start up, due to everything turning on at once, creating a (very temporary) voltage drop. The more expensive digital ballasts (also some of the higher end analog ballasts) sense voltage and compensate or draw less power at startup.

You have 3 options to fix this. I'll start with the easiest and end with the hardest/ most expensive:

1. This is the easiest. Turn your headlights to off (not auto) before you start your car at night. Now start the car, wait a few seconds and turn it back to auto. Both lights should be on. I have confirmed on other vehicles that this works.

2. Buy a voltage sensitive or "escalade" relay and plug it into you harness. The relay basically waits for the voltage to stabilize before it sends power to the HIDs. I have not confirmed that this method woks. There is a guy on eBay that sells these. If you're interested I can fish up his user name.

3. Most expensive. Buy a morimoto or xenondepot kit and throw the other one in the trash :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Reactions: ryandoan90
#7 ·
try swapping ballasts? hopefully the problem transfers to passenger side

if you wired everything right, you should be pulling direct current from the battery with your relay harness...telling us that with/without the harness it still "mis-ignites" tells me its a bad ballast

#10 ·
OK, few months ago, I bought a conversion kit from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270890515433&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

I also installed the relay harness thingy as well:
H3 H4 H7 H11 9005 9006 Xenon Headlight Kit Relay Wire Harness Adapter Wiring | eBay

Everything worked out fine for about two weeks, and then problem started.

The bulb on driver's side, sometimes would not turn on. It's like it doesn't have enough power to initiate it. I tried with and without the relay harness, same result.
If I turn it off and then wait for a few seconds, turn the switch, sometimes it would turn on, sometimes it wouldn't. And this happens to only the driver side and it drives me crazy.

So I guess the ballast went stupid, so i exchanged a new one. Same thing. I tried to switch the bulbs, no better result.

But here is the strange thing, i popped the hood, have someone turn on/off the light too see what's happening. When the light (driver's side) turn on, everything seemed normal.
But when it does not, it makes this little buzzing sound for like 1/3 of a second, and a little flash at the transparent wire from the ballast to the bulb.

Can some one help me out with this problem ? I mean one bulb is probably brighter than both OEM bulbs, but this is just so annoying...

For me it was the other little box , not the ballast ,,

It looks like a fuse it was not all the way in ,

(Pionting with My index finger )

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.