Toyota Nation Forum banner

Rack and Pinion Replacement Guide

11K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  NC Toyota 
#1 · (Edited)
Still in progress

Ok so my rack and pinion went out recently as some of you remember my post.

Turns out there was a big gouge in the metal where one of the lines ran in. I remember hitting a chunk of something on a road trip a while back so I am guessing that is what killed it.

So what you will need is a complete socket set and an extension. A full set of metric long handles wrenches are needed as well. One pair of needle nose pliars and a pair of pliars.

You can find your new rack and pinions at autozone and oriellys. I stuck with oreillys and got this one.

Now you may have to get new tie rod ends and dust boot covers. It is a given you will need to get new cotter pins as well.

Tie Rod End:Here

Dust Boot Cover: Here

******note get some CV grease to fill the boot cover at the store too*****

Cotter pins: Here

First put your E-brake on as far as you can go. Chock your two back wheels front and back with bricks or wood blocks.

Ok here is the steps:
1. Remove the hubcaps if you have steelies like me and then break loose the lugs on your two front tires. Remember loosen and don't remove yet.
2. Take your scissor jack and put in in the default jack point behind the drivers tire and raise it all the way.
3. Take your jack stand and place it behind the jack point 2-3" and extend it all the way. Ensure you have jack stands rated for the weight. Mine are rated for 6k Kilograms and were only $30.00 at Oreillys. If you haven't found out yet, I love Oreillys. :p
4. Let your jack down slowly and let it rest on the jack stands. Before removing the stand ensure your car is resting solid on the stand and not tilted at an angle.
5. Repeat on the opposite side of the car.

This is what it will look like.

Take your wheels off now and set your lugs aside in a safe place.

Whallah we have a bar rotor assembly :p

The first step is to remove the tie rod end from the boot knuckle.

We have to remove a cotter pin to do this. Take your needle nose pliars and unbend the twisted ends into a straight line. Try to pull it back through but more than likely it will just snap off. No worries as we bought spares. Remove it in pieces if you have to.

Remove the castle nut next and put it in a safe place. Next you need to hit the boot knuckle. IMPORTANT!!! DO NOT HIT THE BOLT ON THE BOTTOM OR HIT THE TIE ROD END!!!! Hit the boot knuckle on the side a couple of time and it should pop the assembly right out of the hole. If it doesn't then you can use a 3/8" wrench to pry it out where the dust cover boot is. You will tear the cover but no worries as your should have bought another for this project.

Here is what it will look like after you remove it.

Now you will notice a bar coming down. Black and hooked up to a rod.

You need an allen key and a wrench to remove the nut. Put the wrench over the nut and then the allen key in the end of the bolt to hold it still and then remove the nut. You should end up with it looking like this.

***ENSURE YOU ARE REPEATING ALL MY STEPS ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE CAR AS WELL*****

Next we disconnect the steering column. I took my seat belt and locked my wheel in place so it couldnt be moved. Ensure it is center(the wheel) so it goes back together right. There is a bolt above the rack and pinion holding the steering column spindle in tight. Loosen and remove. You should be able to push the column off now. If not then try the wrench technique again. Insert the open end in the slot and pry off.

I couldnt get any pictures of the supply and excess lines due to fluid everywhere. Remove the lines and remember where they go. Mine had the thicker bolt on bottom and thinner on top. I took this one after I put it back together.

There are now three bolts holding it in.
One is on top of the pasenger side of the rack and pinion and it just holds a hose down.
The other two are:

Remove those from each side of the car and your rack and pinion is now free. The reason we unhooked that black bar earlier is because the steering assembly on the rack and pinion is too big. We can raise the bar and slide it right out of the drivers side!

Now reverse the entire procedure and put it back together with your new rack and pinion! I will post the how to add new tie rod ends today when I do mine as well as dust boot cover and greasing.

****Note I couldnt remove my tie rod ends so I dont have a guide yet until later today how to put new ones on.****

End result: (forgive the piles of laundry. Just moved in and getting clothes ready to donate to goodwill :p)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.