Toyota Nation Forum banner

CV Passenger side Replacement

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  mkingery 
#1 ·
2004 Camry need to replace right side axle. Where is a good place to start
looking for information on this site. Have a good idea looking at older models, but not this generation. Any help will be appreciated.

#2 ·
The cv joints haven't changed much in 25 years so if you could do one on an 87 you can do this one. If you are up to the taks, get a new joint from Toyota and replace it. If not you can buy a rebuilt half shaft but these can be suspect, so make sure it comes with a good warranty and pedigree. Replacing the whole thing is faster, easier, and a lot cleaner, but .........you know what I mean.

#4 ·
CV Suspect?

I Kinda thought it was similar in moves, this is my first attempt at this so I wasn't sure. I got the tools I need from AutoZone,the axle too. It's the Duralast Gold, New not reman. Made in China, so not sure about quality. Need to replace steering boot on same side, so will attempt all on Saturday

#6 ·
CV Replacement

I have seen some photos and video when replacing the axle they remove the bearing holder from the car as an assembly, then remove the bearing from the holder instead of doing it under the car. I thought that might be easier. Same thing with the brake caliper, some take it off, some leave it on. Looks like it might give you more room to work,but is it nessecary. Thanks for heads up on the battery disconnect

#16 · (Edited)
I have seen some photos and video when replacing the axle they remove the bearing holder from the car as an assembly, then remove the bearing from the holder instead of doing it under the car. I thought that might be easier. Same thing with the brake caliper, some take it off, some leave it on. Looks like it might give you more room to work,but is it nessecary. Thanks for heads up on the battery disconnect
LoL, I would NEVER recommend anyone doing this on their own to remove the bearing from the carrier while still bolted on to the engine. Its three bolts holding that bracket so not much work there. But in my case with 120,xxx on the car, the bearing was fused to the carrier...fun times getting that one punched out.

Coolwind, I also had new hub bearings pressed in. But only cost me $20 labor at local shop to have them both pressed in. If any of you guys are in need of new hub bearings you will only need the bearing itself Toyota doesn't sell the hub and bearing together as one piece so you'll still have to have it pressed in. Fyi...clean your speed/ABS sensors when reinstalling its a pita if you get the sensor dirty. It will trigger an ABS light and drive you crazy just trying to get rid of it......lol as me how I know. Cheers!

#8 ·
CV usually makes popping noise when at or near full turn. Bearing usually makes growl an speed and can get quieter or louder when in high speed turn. IE. if making left turn and growl gets louder, it is right bearing. IMO better to replace to whole hub assy rather than just the bearing. I have done both and hub lasted longer and was no that much more.

#13 ·
the tool he is referring to is called hub tamer or similar(wheel bearing tool)
the good ones are not cheap, $500+ , shop air and a good impact wrench is a must(probably doable by hand but I hope you're strong)
using that works most of the times, except when the bearing is really stuck in the knuckle
if that doesn't sound like something for you to do on a Saturday then the easiest way is to take the whole knuckle out go to the machine shop and they'll have the old one out and the new one in while you have a coffee.

#12 ·
I really don't have a clue where to look for such a tool, but it is make-able. Picture a large bolt, a few large washers to give it strength, and a fixture like a gear puller that will sit on the shoulder of the hub in such a way that you can tighten the bolt and pull the bearing out from the back side. The bearing is pressed in, all you are doing is pressing it out but doing so in place rather than using a hydraulic press in the shop. I don't think they use a C-clip to hold the bearing in but if you find one you need to remove it first, obviously. The new bearing is going to go in the old fashioned way so you don't chip a roller.

#17 ·
Axle Dust/Dirt Seal

I purchased a remanufactured drivers side axle. It does not have the metal dust seal on the axle shaft that enters the transmission. And the diameter where I could put the old seal has been removed. Should I be concerned and look for a different axle? 2002 Camry LE V6. Funny thing, same place, the passenger side had the metal cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.