Toyota Nation Forum banner

Reliability Match up - Gen 5 Camry vs. Gen 9 Corolla

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Fulaman 
#1 ·
Which would you say is more reliable the Gen 5 Camry with the 2AZ-FE engine or the Gen 9 Corolla with the only engine available to it (1ZZ-FE engine).

#2 ·
Tough one. My Corolla has given me no real issues except for the $7 intake gasket. The Camry is also reliable.

Both are affected by small gremlins like idle issues and throttle lag. But i would say having working on them both over and over and over again that they are nearly identical. Small advantage to Corolla as it isn't plagued by water pump issues and is slightly easier to work on.

Reactions: Fulaman
#3 ·
Thanks for the awesome response man, I have an 03 LE and my brother has an 08 CE, my LE has 87,8XX miles and his Corolla has 6X,XXX miles (I don't even know lol). I do agree about the water pump thing, I had to replace mine recently and it wasn't cheap. That said, once you replace it, it won't break again right?

Also what is up with 4 cylinder Gen 5 Camrys when parked in heat for a while, and when you start them up, blue smoke exits the exhaust pipe.

#4 · (Edited)
Valve seal issues common to early cars.

Water pump issue depends on whether you got an updated pump or not.

Most reported issues with Corolla
P0171 lean code and lack of power, idle issues
Other non P0171 idle issues
Drive belt tensioner and belt squeak or rattle
Extended cranking
ECU failures (covered by recall)

Most reported issues for Gen 5 2AZFE Camry
Water pump
Erratic idle
P0420 Cat code
Poor fuel economy
Headgasket failure and stripped head bolts (although maintenance and actual numbers of issues compared to cars sold brings questions).

All in all these cars are more reliable than similar vehicles in their class.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.